BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TomHsiung
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, everyone

Recently I have been learning logistic regression. I know that PROC GENMOD could be used to do a logistic regression with the option link = logit. However, with the link = logit I can only get the odds ratio. I am more interested in the relative risk and what I found via Google is the same PROC GENMOD but with an option of link = log.

So, my question is: Does the PROC GENMOD still do a logistic regression with the option of link = log? If yes, what is the math behind it? If not, then what is the mathematical mode it uses? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, using the log link you model the log of the event probability and then exponentiation of parameters can be used to estimate relative risks. But using the log link can result in estimation problems because the log link does not keep predicted values restricted to the valid probability range. However, you can also estimate relative risks using a logistic model followed by use of the NLMeans macro. These and other approaches are covered in this note

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, using the log link you model the log of the event probability and then exponentiation of parameters can be used to estimate relative risks. But using the log link can result in estimation problems because the log link does not keep predicted values restricted to the valid probability range. However, you can also estimate relative risks using a logistic model followed by use of the NLMeans macro. These and other approaches are covered in this note

TomHsiung
Quartz | Level 8

And after some google later, I found the link = log is a model called "log-binomial regression" (https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/581678/what-is-the-difference-between-a-logistic-regressio... )

The thread says,

Logistic regression always produces estimates of 𝑝𝑖 that are between 0 and 1. This is not true for log-binomial regression;

I guess this is the reason why few people use the log-binomial regression to model their data because the risk of deriving a risk higher than 100%. Thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation