BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mepidemiology
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi there! I am struggling to interpret my SAS output for gamma regression using PROC GENMOD, where the dist=GAMMA and the link=LOG. My dependent and independent variables (and other covariates) are continuous. The dependent variable is measured in weeks.

I am stuck because in the "Contrast Estimate Results" table I get a mean estimate of 1.01, and I'm not sure how to interpret it because when I convert the dependent variable to days (so I can interpret a larger beta estimate), I get an identical mean estimate of 1.01, and the only thing that changes is my intercept.

With that in mind, is the mean estimate not interpreted as the change in y for every unit change in x? I've seen mixed responses and based on my identical answer despite changing the units of y, I wanted to inquire. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
You need to show the GENMOD statements that you submitted - including your ESTIMATE statement. I assume that the second run uses identical code except possibly a different response variable name for the variable that multiplies the week-based response variable by 7, yes?
mepidemiology
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi! Yes, that is correct, the code is identical except the variable for days is that of weeks multiplied by 7. I apologize - here are the statements:

proc genmod data=dataset;
model age_days = exposure covariate1 covariate2 covariate3  /dist=GAMMA link=log;
estimate "Age, days with exposure" exposure 1;
ods output estimates = day_exp;
run;

proc genmod data=dataset;
model age_wks = exposure covariate1 covariate2 covariate3  /dist=GAMMA link=log;
estimate "Age, weeks with exposure" exposure 1;
ods output estimates = week_exp;
run;

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
Algebraically, the model (just considering the exposure) is
log(y)=b0 + b1*x.
If you multiply y by 7, then the model is
log(7y) = log(7)+log(y) = b0 + b1*x
which can be written
log(y)=(b0-log(7)) + b1*x
So, all that happens is that the intercept gets decreased by log(7).
mepidemiology
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! I will look deeper into this to wrap my head around it, but it makes sense. Thanks!

mepidemiology
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you again! Quick follow up - given this, how would I interpret Beta for days and then weeks? For instance a b1-unit increase in x is associated with ## change in y (in days), and in the other model, a b1-unit increase in x is associated with a ## change in y (weeks). Do I need the intercepts?
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
The log response changes by b1 for each unit change in the predictor - whatever the predictor's units.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation