BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Giampaolo
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear SAS experts,

I have two variables income (4 levels) and education (3 levels) that I would like to use as predictors for quantile regression.  I coded them as class variables but I believe it would be more correct to define them as ordinal. Is it possible to define independent variables as ordinal in Quantreg?

Thank you

proc quantreg data=Mydata CI=resampling order =internal;
class Income education mammography;

format Income Income. Education edu.;
model DependentV = Income Age|Age education  mammography / diagnostics quantile=0.25 0.5 0.75 covb
plots= quantplot ;
test income/LR rankscore wald;
ods output parameterestimates = PMSQUANT;
run;quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

No. Some SAS regression procedures enable you to specify an ordinal variable for the RESPONSE variable, but I don't think ordinal INDEPENDENT variables are supported on the CLASS statement.

Some people code ordinal explanatory variables (Likert variables) as evenly spaced integers, such as -1, 0, +1 for "disagree", "neutral", and "agree". You would then treat the variable as a continuous variable and NOT put it on the CLASS statement.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

No. Some SAS regression procedures enable you to specify an ordinal variable for the RESPONSE variable, but I don't think ordinal INDEPENDENT variables are supported on the CLASS statement.

Some people code ordinal explanatory variables (Likert variables) as evenly spaced integers, such as -1, 0, +1 for "disagree", "neutral", and "agree". You would then treat the variable as a continuous variable and NOT put it on the CLASS statement.

Giampaolo
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation