BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
CeeElle
Calcite | Level 5

When I perform PROC ANOVA or GLM I am getting missing values in my output tables usually in F value and p-value. In looking for the solution I have seen that this often occurs when you only have 2 levels as explanatory variables. How do I fix this? 

-My dataset consist two column table of Bone mineral density and Group # (which corresponds with different diagnosis classifications).

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

If you have a categorical variable, one level will always be missing. 
It’s hard to know if that’s what’s happening here without more details but that would be my guess. Or you have small Ns in some groups? 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@CeeElle wrote:

When I perform PROC ANOVA or GLM I am getting missing values in my output tables usually in F value and p-value. In looking for the solution I have seen that this often occurs when you only have 2 levels as explanatory variables. How do I fix this? 

But there's nothing wrong here. So you can't fix it. I wrote an article explaining this: https://communities.sas.com/t5/Statistical-Procedures/Interpreting-Multivariate-Linear-Regression-wi...

--
Paige Miller
CeeElle
Calcite | Level 5

I have attached the dataset. Both variables are numeric but I am still getting missing values. 

Reeza
Super User
You also need to share your code, log and output. We have no idea if you're doing things correctly to know what's going on....
Reeza
Super User
I run GLM on your data and get missing values only for Group = 5 which is correct.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@CeeElle wrote:

I have attached the dataset. Both variables are numeric but I am still getting missing values. 

Show us the output. Show us the code.

Numeric is irrelevant, if these are variables in a CLASS statement, then my previous statement applies. 

--
Paige Miller
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ
I moved this to the Statistical Procedures community, where it may get additional attention from folks more familiar with this topic.
Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation