BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Recep
Quartz | Level 8

Hello there,

I'm trying to calculate the mean difference of a variable among two independent groups. I know that the variable is NOT normally distributed so I use the Wilxocon test below:

proc npar1way data = sample_data wilcoxon;
class gender;
var test_score;
run;

The data "sample_data" is generated by multiple imputation with almost 40 imputations. The original data has about 10,000 records which brings the imputed data to 400,000 records (40x10,000). Since the sample size is artificially very big due to imputations the mean difference looks extremely statistically significant.

I was wondering how can I take into account that the data is constructed by 40 imputed data so that the significance of the mean difference can be calculated appropriately? Is there an option in the "proc npar1way" or do I need to use the estimators produced by PROC MIANALYZE in the next steps to calculate the mean difference of the two samples?

Thanks a lot in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

If you want to combine the results from the Wilcoxon test then you will need to include BY _IMPUTATION_ in your NPAR1WAY code as was already mentioned.  But you will also not be able to use MIANALYZE to combine the nonparametric test but instead will need to combine the actual Chi-Square test statistics that are generated by the Wilcoxon test.  Dr. Paul Allison has a MACRO on his website called %COMBCHI that does this correctly.

https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~allison/combchi.sas 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You have to include 

BY _Imputation_;

in your analysis. That will give you 40 estimates. You can then combine those estimates into a single estimate by using PROC MIANALYZE  or some other adjustment method.

SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

If you want to combine the results from the Wilcoxon test then you will need to include BY _IMPUTATION_ in your NPAR1WAY code as was already mentioned.  But you will also not be able to use MIANALYZE to combine the nonparametric test but instead will need to combine the actual Chi-Square test statistics that are generated by the Wilcoxon test.  Dr. Paul Allison has a MACRO on his website called %COMBCHI that does this correctly.

https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~allison/combchi.sas 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation