BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PSB
Fluorite | Level 6 PSB
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I'm using ZINB models to examine count data in 44 youth who are part of a summer research treatment program. The dataset is highly unbalanced as some youth have many time-outs, and others have only a few. Given this, I'm including an offset variable to account for the # of time-outs a child got within a day. Given the overdispersion and excess zeros, ZINB appears most appropriate and I'm using a LINK = LOG function. Does my offset variable also need to be logged? I'm seeing mixed responses online. My code is below.

Thanks much!

PROC GENMOD DATA = TIMEOUT;
CLASS Meds;
MODEL Behavior = time X1 X2 X3 X4 / link = log dist = zinb; offset = timeout_withindaycount;(does this need to log transformed?)
ZEROMODEL time X1 X2 X3 X4;
RUN;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

The purpose of using an offset in a model on a count response is so that you can model a rate - the ratio of the mean count to some exposure or population amount. See this note that discusses it. As shown there, in a log-linked model the denominator variable of the desired rate should also be log transformed. Assuming that your BEHAVIOR variable is a count and if your intent is to model the rate defined by BEHAVIOR/TIMEOUT_WITHINDAYCOUNT, then you need to log-transform the timeout variable. See this note that discusses and illustrates modeling mean counts and rates with zero-inflated models.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

The purpose of using an offset in a model on a count response is so that you can model a rate - the ratio of the mean count to some exposure or population amount. See this note that discusses it. As shown there, in a log-linked model the denominator variable of the desired rate should also be log transformed. Assuming that your BEHAVIOR variable is a count and if your intent is to model the rate defined by BEHAVIOR/TIMEOUT_WITHINDAYCOUNT, then you need to log-transform the timeout variable. See this note that discusses and illustrates modeling mean counts and rates with zero-inflated models.

PSB
Fluorite | Level 6 PSB
Fluorite | Level 6
Apologies for the delay! Thank you very much, StatDave. This was very helpful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation