BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LadyIDO
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I'm trying to estimate the beta distribution parameters (alpha, beta) using Proc NLMIXED. Because beta is not one of the distributions with built-in log likelihood, I used the general statement as follows:

proc nlmixed data=test;
parms a=5 b=5;
*s=beta(a,b);
s=gamma(a*b)/(gamma(a)*gamma(b));
ll=(1-a)*xbeta+(1-b)*(1-xbeta)-log(s);
model xbeta~general(ll);
run;

I tried using the beta function directly and with gamma function. Both gave me the 'QUANEW optimization cannot be completed' error.

The test data is just 1000 beta variates with alpha=beta=5. I even set the initial values to 5, but still got this error. 

Anne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

First, the beta function is 

s=gamma(a+b)/(gamma(a)*gamma(b));

not

Second, the beta distribution when a=b is somewhat degenerate, in the sense that the mean is exactly 1/2. This might be relevant for your nonconvergence issues. I'm not sure.

But if you want to use PROC NLMIXED, the easiest way is to specify the LOGPDF of the beta distribution directly:

data test;
call streaminit(54321);
do i = 1 to 1000;
   xbeta = rand("Beta", 5, 5);
   output;
end;
run;

proc nlmixed data=test;
  parms a=4 b=5.5;
  ll= logpdf("Beta", xbeta, a, b);;
  model xbeta~general(ll);
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If you want to fit a model to a response variable that is distributed as beta, then you can use the FMM or GLIMMIX procedure. Specify DIST=BETA in the MODEL statement. If your goal is to estimate the parameters of the beta distribution for one population, you can use the HISTOGRAM statement in PROC UNIVARIATE as mentioned in this note.

LadyIDO
Obsidian | Level 7
I was trying to understand how to use nlmixed to estimate parameters of 
less common distribution like the following for beta-binomial. I didn't know about
FMM before. I'll check it out. Thanks.

proc nlmixed data=&data fconv=1E-14 df=&rdf alpha=0.05 ecov cov;
parms mu=0.5 gamma=0.5;
bounds mu>=0, mu<=1, gamma>0, gamma<1;
ll=0;
theta=gamma/(1-gamma);
do i=1 to &ntrials;
if i<=&nsucc
then ll=ll+log(mu+(i-1)*theta);
else ll=ll+log((1-mu)+(i-&nsucc-1)*theta);
ll=ll-log(1+(i-1)*theta);
end;
alpha=mu/theta;
beta=(1-mu)/theta;
model &nsucc~general(ll);
run;
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

First, the beta function is 

s=gamma(a+b)/(gamma(a)*gamma(b));

not

Second, the beta distribution when a=b is somewhat degenerate, in the sense that the mean is exactly 1/2. This might be relevant for your nonconvergence issues. I'm not sure.

But if you want to use PROC NLMIXED, the easiest way is to specify the LOGPDF of the beta distribution directly:

data test;
call streaminit(54321);
do i = 1 to 1000;
   xbeta = rand("Beta", 5, 5);
   output;
end;
run;

proc nlmixed data=test;
  parms a=4 b=5.5;
  ll= logpdf("Beta", xbeta, a, b);;
  model xbeta~general(ll);
run;
LadyIDO
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you so much Rick! Using logpdf did it! I didn't know about logpdf function. This would really help with future work needing log likelihood.

Thanks again!

Anne

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation