BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AlainX
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear All,

I am new to SAS Studio on Demand (and SAS in general), thus I apologise in advance for my silly question.

I run a logistic regression with 100 obs, and 2 independent variables, one categorical ("Card") and one continuous ("Spending"). See the screenshots in the attached PDF.

In Excel/Minitab, I obtain the following coefficients: b0=-2.146, b2=1.099, b3=0.342

In SAS Studio, I obtain the following coefficients: b0=-1.0476, b2=-1.0987, b3=0.3416

May you clarify for me what happens with b0 and b1??? I am really going crazy. My questions:

a) Why the estimates for b0 are different, between Excel/Minitab and SAS?

b) Is it just luck that b0+b1 for SAS is equal to b0 for Excel/Minitab?

b) Why there are opposite signs for b2 (between Excel/Minitab and SAS)?

Once again I deeply apologise for this silly question.

Best, 

Alain

Minitab.pngSAS Studio.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

It looks like the Excel/Minitab is using a different reference level for Card.  SAS is setting the reference level to '1' while it appears the other package sets it to '0'.  

Regardless of the values however, the interpretation would be the same.

You can control the reference level on the CLASS statement.

class card(ref='0')/param=glm;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SAS_Rob
SAS Employee

It looks like the Excel/Minitab is using a different reference level for Card.  SAS is setting the reference level to '1' while it appears the other package sets it to '0'.  

Regardless of the values however, the interpretation would be the same.

You can control the reference level on the CLASS statement.

class card(ref='0')/param=glm;

AlainX
Fluorite | Level 6
Millions, millions, millions of thanks.. I am so obliged. Now I realise the power of SAS communities, and the underlying learning curve is totally worths the efforts. Huge thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation