BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lauramb
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, I'm working with the following data involving incidence of a disease.

My variables are YEAR, COUNTRY and INCIDENCE RATE (calculated on the basis of the total population of the country that year.

So far I did a Cochran Armitage trend test to see if there is a significant trend over the years. 

The other thing I want to check is if I have a difference between countries.

The thing is I don't have cases, just incidence rates. Basically I have the cases for the disease, but not for the not disease (if that makes any sense).

Anyone knows how to work with this kind of data? i.e. only one value (freq) per variable (country)?

Thanks!

Any input will be welcomed!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

When you say you "have the cases for the disease, but not for the not disease," that suggests you have a count of the number of cases with the disease and the total population for each country-year combination. The ratio of those is actually a proportion, which you are calling a rate**.   If that is true, then you can fit a logistic model and then make country comparisons. For example, 

proc logistic; class country; model Ndis / Total = country year; run;

If you particularly need to measure a difference of proportions (rather than the more natural odds ratio with PROC LOGISTIC will automatically provide), then see this note

**This assumes that each person can only either have or not have the disease. If a person can have it more than once, then a different method is needed. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

When you say you "have the cases for the disease, but not for the not disease," that suggests you have a count of the number of cases with the disease and the total population for each country-year combination. The ratio of those is actually a proportion, which you are calling a rate**.   If that is true, then you can fit a logistic model and then make country comparisons. For example, 

proc logistic; class country; model Ndis / Total = country year; run;

If you particularly need to measure a difference of proportions (rather than the more natural odds ratio with PROC LOGISTIC will automatically provide), then see this note

**This assumes that each person can only either have or not have the disease. If a person can have it more than once, then a different method is needed. 

lauramb
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your help!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation