BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
saza
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I was given a scenario that does not state a power value nor a mean or population size. How can I use proc power to solve for this scenario and problem set?

A researcher would like to examine whether there is a relationship between recent influenza vaccination (this season: yes/no) and a history of having the flu in the past 3 years (yes/no). She would like to detect a minimum difference in proportions of .10, and she expects a proportion of 0.35 in the reference group. She wants to limit falsely rejecting the null to 1%, and falsely rejecting the alternative hypothesis to 90%. What is the minimum sample size per group, given these criteria?

1) To detect a minimum difference of 0.10 (i.e., between 0.35 and 0.45) the minimum sample size per group is _____

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I pointed you to an example in your previous thread.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Statistical-Procedures/Was-told-to-figure-out-a-SAS-question-without-...

Then others also gave examples. And now you repeat the question.

--
Paige Miller
saza
Quartz | Level 8
I was not able to open the link you posted however am looking over it now. I have tried a variation of codes and the one I think should have worked, states "multiple answers"

PROC POWER;
ONESAMPLEMEANS
ALPHA =.05
SIDES =2
TEST =T
NULLMEAN=.35 to .45
STDDEV =.
MEAN =.10
NTOTAL =.
POWER =.;
run;
ballardw
Super User

If the question is about sample size then you must provide a power. Proc Power will only estimate 1 missing property.

If you do not know a power then you can request analysis at multiple likely values for power and either pick one or show the range: Power = .7 .8 .9 for example. You will get 3 scenarios. Similar for estimated "means" involved. Literature

saza
Quartz | Level 8
You are correct. I cannot have more than one missing value. Based on how you answered my question yesterday, I believe a twosamplemeans test might not be the correct route to solving this particular problem

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation