BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vundla
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to run what should be a  straightforward Poisson regression to obtain adjusted mortality rates at county-level. I must first clarify that my issue is not about choosing between a marginal (GEE) vs. subject-specific model. My data consists of the following variables: y=death counts, Ni=population at risk, sex=(M/F), Agegrp=3 age groups, and other covariates: x1=% of educated (at county level), x2=% of employed (at county level). My aim is to obtain Mortality rates/100,000 at county level based on the model consisting of the explanatory variables as shown below:

I am aiming to fit the following Poisson regression model (with an offset log(Ni) :

log(lambda_i)= bo + b1*Agegrp + b2*Sex + b3*X1 + b4*X2 + ui

where ui=county random effects.

I tried following the example from SAS help using  random effects model fitted using PROC GLIMMIX (v9.4). This approach seems to do the trick, but the problem is the rates I am getting are not at county-level but rather at the level of the explanatory variables. Is there a way I could obtain these at county level? At the end I want to rank these counties by the adjusted mortality rates from the Poisson regression. Fitting a marginal mode (GEE) did not help either. I would welcome any suggestions.

The code is as below:

PROC GLIMMIX DATA=mydata;
        CLASS county;
        MODEL deaths = agegrp sex  X1 X2 / DIST=poisson OFFSET=log_Ni S DDFM=Satterth;
        RANDOM county;
       My_Rate= 100000*exp(_zgamma_ + _xbeta_);
      ID county deaths pop My_Rate;
      OUTPUT OUT=got_you;
RUN;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
What you're looking for are the random intercepts from your model. You need to add / solution option to your RANDOM statement and OUTPUT SolutionR to a dataset. Depending on your needs, that may be enough or you may need to add the model intercept to random intercepts, transform to an original metric using iLink and calculate more specific ESTIMATES at set values of co-variates.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
What you're looking for are the random intercepts from your model. You need to add / solution option to your RANDOM statement and OUTPUT SolutionR to a dataset. Depending on your needs, that may be enough or you may need to add the model intercept to random intercepts, transform to an original metric using iLink and calculate more specific ESTIMATES at set values of co-variates.
vundla
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Haris, I much appreciate your suggestion. I was not sure I was doing the correct thing, but as you suggested, indeed what I need are the random intercepts.

vundla
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Harris, what I needed exactly is to compare how the covariate adjusted mortality rates estimated from a Poisson model compare to the age-standardized mortality rates. Is there an easy way to average these estimates over the combination of covariates to obtain a single estimate for each county in PROC GLIMMMIX?
Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
If I understand you correctly, random intercepts already give you what you seek—covariate standardized deviations of each random effect from sample average. If you need an estimate at a different standard than GLIMMIX default, you can use the ESTIMATE statement to obtain whatever estimate you need.
vundla
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks once more for the clarification it is very helpful. I was struggling/confused a bit about the correct interpretation of the random effects. You understood me correctly, it's much clearer now. For example in my case with 2-levels of hierarchy in my data, it would be enough as I am seeking differences from the national (aka sample) average in this case. It then makes sense again if I had an additional level, say e.g. Districts, then the random effects at this level will represent differences from county average.

Haris
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You have to be careful with the interpretation of the multi-level random effects. Just like the fixed effects, they are additive: i.e., your facility-level effect will not contain the county-level. In other words, if you're looking for a facility-level effect, you will need to add the county in which it is.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation