BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
cdunlea
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all, 

I would like to perform a Spearman correlation on the scores from a single variable in my dataset. I have six other variables that categorize all participants into 6 different groups by giving them a 1 or a 0. 

How can I use proc corr to say that I want to calculate the correlation coefficient on the scores for each different group as defined by the 6 other variables? An example table of what I am hoping for is below.

Group 1Group 2Group 3 Group 4 Group 5Group 6
Group 1 Correlation coefficient for score on test    
Group 2      
Group 3      
Group 4      
Group 5      
Group 6      
5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please show us a portion of the original data

--
Paige Miller
cdunlea
Fluorite | Level 6

Here is part of my dataset with the variables of interest. 

Obs Score group1 group2 group3 group4 group5 group612345678

cdunlea
Fluorite | Level 6

Here is the dataset with no formatting errors.

ScoreGroup1Group2Group3Group4Group5Group6
Reeza
Super User

Usually observations have to line up somehow....how do they align here? How do I know which group 4 obs to match with group 1, is it only when the observation has 1s in Group 4 and Group 1? But that doesn't make sense because you only have one value for that observation so how does correlation get calculated at all here?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I have to admit I don't understand. A Spearman correlation cannot be calculated if the only values in the data are 1 or missing. Even if (as you said in your original message, but not in your most recent messge) that the values are 1 and 0, I don't see this as a candidate for a Spearman correlation. Correlation between two binary variables is measured by the Phi Coefficient, which is an output from PROC FREQ.

I'm also mystified by your title, "how to denote different categories", which doesn't seem to relate at all to anything you have written.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation