BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Diels_O
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear professors, I have a question of how to calculate the difference and CI of continuous variable in Clinical trails:

For example:

Outcomes                                       Drug                    Placebo                            Effect Estimate(95%CI)
NIHSS score change, Mean(SD)  1.2(3.75)              0.8(2.01)                             0.4(-0.4 to 1.1)

I want to get the difference like this

I use the PROC MEANS:

proc means data = work.stroke noprint alpha=0.05;
          class group;
          var NIHSS_24h_minus_baseline;                                
          output out=_runtemp_s1   n = n  mean = mean q1=q1 q3=q3 std=std median=median  nmiss=nmiss min=min max=max lclm=lclm_ uclm=uclm_ clm = clm_;
      run;

Can any expert tell me how to get the difference and CI or is there a macro to compute the estimate effect, risk difference, OR and CI? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
Then use PROC TTEST. See the Getting Started example in the TTEST documentation.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
The risk difference and odds ratio (OR) is appropriate for a binary response, not a continuous response. The output you included shows an estimate for the Drug group of 1.2 which is clearly not in the valid [0,1] range for the probability of a binary response. Clarify what your response is and what you want to estimate.
Diels_O
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, Dave, I have made a change to the example, I want to calculate the difference of the continuous variable and the confidence interval.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
Then use PROC TTEST. See the Getting Started example in the TTEST documentation.
Diels_O
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, and I want to ask whether PROC TTEST is appropriate for non-normal data and ordinal outcomes.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
TTEST might be adequate for a large data set, but you can always opt for a nonparametric test by using PROC NPAR1WAY instead.
Diels_O
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, I have done Hodges-Lehmann Estimation to check the difference of ordinal outcomes, was it correct?

Ksharp
Super User
Check PROC FREQ.

proc freq.........
table x*y/ relrisk riskdiff ;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation