BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wikich
Calcite | Level 5

Dear all, When I using proc seqdesign to calculate the sample size in group sequential design, the generation of maximum information is confused me.

let's use the example in sas help to explain,

proc seqdesign altref=0.4
               pss
               stopprob
               errspend
               ;
   TwoSidedPocock:        design nstages=4 method=poc;
   TwoSidedOBrienFleming: design nstages=4 method=obf;
   samplesize model=twosamplemean(stddev=0.8 weight=2);
run;

In the design information, 

MethodPocock
Boundary KeyBoth
Alternative Reference0.4
Number of Stages4
Alpha0.05
Beta0.1
Power0.9
Max Information (Percent of Fixed Sample)118.3143
Max Information77.69844

In the help document, the I0=(Φ−1(1−α/2)+Φ−1(1−β))20.42=(1.96+1.28155)20.16=65.6728, 

How to calcuate max information Ix = 77.69844?

4 REPLIES 4
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

See "Specified and Derived Parameters" in the Details section of the PROC SEQDESIGN documentation. As noted there, when the alternative reference (ALTREF=) and the type I and type II error levels (ALPHA=, BETA=) are specified, then the procedure internally derives a drift parameter. GIven the drift and the alternative reference, that documentation section shows how the maximum information is computed. 

wikich
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for replay :). I have read this section before, but I still do not understand the generation of the drift parameters. I am really interested in the "procedure internally derives a drift parameter". where could I to read the source code to calculation this procedure? Thanks again for your replay.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

There isn't a simple, closed-form expression for computing the drift parameter. It is derived using an iterative, root-finding algorithm.

wikich
Calcite | Level 5

I also find other papers to explain the procedure. I use the function uniroot() in R which could repeat the drift parameter generated in SAS. Thanks for your replay 🙂

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation