BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mollylamb
Calcite | Level 5

Hello SAS community,

I have a dataset that contains 175 families, with up to 5 members per family.  There are up to 2 sexually-linked couples in each household (for example, one household might have grandma-grandpa, mom-dad, and a kid.  The next household might have mom-dad and two kids. the next household might just have a dingle person.  etc.).  I have a household ID, and individual ID, and an ID ('pairs') that is the same for sexually-linked couples within a given household (1-1 or 2-2).  All of the people in the household that are not sexually linked to other people in the household have a 3, 4, or 5 in the 'pairs' column.

Here's an example of some of my dataset:

householdindividual IDpairsdisease

Our research question is: do the sexually linked people in the household have higher concordance of disease status (binary outcome) compared to all of the non-sexually linked dyads in the house?  We want to determine if sexual relationship with a person with disease is a risk factor for disease transmission.

I am using a Glimmix model (SAS version 9.4 (TS1M1):

proc glimmix data = mydatset  ASYCORR ASYCOV;

class household pairs;
model disease =  /dist = bin  link = logit;
random household(pairs) ;
run;

My question:  how do I get this model to output the info to answer the research question?  Or am I already outputting it and just don't know how to interpret it?
1 REPLY 1
tellmeaboutityo
Obsidian | Level 7

First you should create a new binary variable, sex_partners.  The 1-1 and 2-2 cases should receive one code (e.g. 1, "Y"), and the 3, 4, 5 should receive the alternate code (e.g. 0, "N").  This is your independent variable.  The other variables are nesting variables.

Then I would try:

proc glimmix data = mydatset  ASYCORR ASYCOV;

class household pairs sex_partners;
model disease = sex_partners /dist = bin  link = logit oddsratio solution;
random intercept / subject=pairs(household);
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation