BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
whitknee48
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I'm using the following code to perform a survival analysis, just looking for the general survival information for my cases:

proc lifetest data = combine2;
   time days_survived*censor(1);
run;

Here, I have 42 cases, 6 with missing censor information (and thus were deleted), and of the remaining 36, 63.89% were censored. This seems to be done appropriately given the output box I received from proc lifetest below:

Censor information.PNG

It is my understanding that when over 50% of your cases are censored the median survival time does not exist. Using the proc lifetest code above, in which over 50% of my cases are censored, I received the following output:

MST.PNG

Here is the other survival output in case it helps:

Survival1.PNGSurvival2.PNG

How is it that Proc Lifetest can compute a median survival time when more than 50% of the cases are censored? I'm using SAS 9.4.

I'd appreciate your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @whitknee48 and welcome to the SAS Support Communities!

More than 50% of observations may be censored, but whether median survival time can be estimated or not also depends on when they were censored. The formula for the median survival time (see section "Breslow, Fleming-Harrington, and Kaplan-Meier Methods" in the documentation) uses Kaplan-Meier estimates (you used the default, KM, of option METHOD= of the PROC LIFETEST statement). Their values can very well drop below 0.5 if many subjects were censored early (as is the case in your data). Then the median survival time can be calculated. (Censored subjects are not expected to survive indefinitely.)

PROC LIFETEST usually plots a survival curve by default. So, you should have got this graph (showing that the survival curve clearly drops below 0.5):

survival_curve.png

If you added, say, 1000 to the days_survived values of sufficiently many censored observations, you'd see the difference in the survival curve and get a missing MST.

PS: Next time please post test data in the form of a data step, not as pictures.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @whitknee48 and welcome to the SAS Support Communities!

More than 50% of observations may be censored, but whether median survival time can be estimated or not also depends on when they were censored. The formula for the median survival time (see section "Breslow, Fleming-Harrington, and Kaplan-Meier Methods" in the documentation) uses Kaplan-Meier estimates (you used the default, KM, of option METHOD= of the PROC LIFETEST statement). Their values can very well drop below 0.5 if many subjects were censored early (as is the case in your data). Then the median survival time can be calculated. (Censored subjects are not expected to survive indefinitely.)

PROC LIFETEST usually plots a survival curve by default. So, you should have got this graph (showing that the survival curve clearly drops below 0.5):

survival_curve.png

If you added, say, 1000 to the days_survived values of sufficiently many censored observations, you'd see the difference in the survival curve and get a missing MST.

PS: Next time please post test data in the form of a data step, not as pictures.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation