BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KS99
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, all, dear SAS community, 

Please bear with me if I returned with too simple a stats question. 

I ran two Poisson models, one simply with controls, the other with controls plus variables of interest. 

/** Model (1) **/
proc genmod data = dataset;
model Y = X1  X2  X3  X4  X5  year1-year9 ind1-ind63 / dist=poisson link=log; run;  

/** Model (2) **/
proc genmod data = dataset;
model Y = X1  X2  X3  X4  X5  X6  X7  X8  X9   X10  year1-year9 ind1-ind63 / dist=poisson link=log; run;

I want to check whether one model is more significant (in terms of fit) than the other. In other words, I want to perform a model test like F-Test when comparing OLS models. According to my internet search, Poisson works differently; they suggest using CONTRAST option in PROC GENMOD but I am not really sure. And the ways they show how to use CONTRAST options look so complicated. Please help! I really appreciate you, SAS community! 

Sincerely, 

KS -,   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Indeed, you need a a likelihood ratio test

Like is said on this page:

SAS® 9.4 and SAS® Viya® 3.5 Programming Documentation
SAS Visual Statistics Programming Guide
Regression Action Set
Poisson Regression
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/casactstat/casactstat_regression_examples0...

• See the "Fit Statistics" table. The –2 log likelihood at the converged estimates is a certain numeric value (the lower the better -- a perfect fitting model would have a value of 0). You can use this –2 log likelihood value to compare the model to nested model alternatives by means of a likelihood ratio test.
  • To compare models that are not nested, information criteria such as AIC (Akaike’s information criterion), AICC (Akaike’s bias-corrected information criterion), and BIC (Schwarz Bayesian information criterion) are used. These criteria penalize the –2 log likelihood for the number of parameters.

Koen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Indeed, you need a a likelihood ratio test

Like is said on this page:

SAS® 9.4 and SAS® Viya® 3.5 Programming Documentation
SAS Visual Statistics Programming Guide
Regression Action Set
Poisson Regression
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/casactstat/casactstat_regression_examples0...

• See the "Fit Statistics" table. The –2 log likelihood at the converged estimates is a certain numeric value (the lower the better -- a perfect fitting model would have a value of 0). You can use this –2 log likelihood value to compare the model to nested model alternatives by means of a likelihood ratio test.
  • To compare models that are not nested, information criteria such as AIC (Akaike’s information criterion), AICC (Akaike’s bias-corrected information criterion), and BIC (Schwarz Bayesian information criterion) are used. These criteria penalize the –2 log likelihood for the number of parameters.

Koen

KS99
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you, sbxkoenk! This is a great and detailed help! I can use it my entire life as long as I get troubled by Poisson!

KS -
KS99
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you StatDave! This is a great help! Somebody expanded what you hinted at. I can consult them all!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation