BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
halladje
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi There!

I am currently doing an analysis using 3-level data (students in classrooms in schools) with continuous, binary, and oridnal independent variables dependent variables. I am planning to do a random intercept only model for the analyses, but I am modeling independent variable effects at upper levels (both class and school level) in addition to individual level. 

I am currently using Proc GLIMMIX and altering the link and distribution parameters for the various outcomes. Currently, my ICC for my binary outcome does not seem to be accurate when using GLIMMIX. My supervisor stated that GLIMMIX is not a good method for binary data and I should use PROC GENMOD and obtain the ICC from t the “Exchangeable Working Correlation” in the sas output.

However, I am having a difficult time understanding the differences for GLIMMIX and GENMOD. When looking at documentation, it states that GLIMMIX handles random effects and variance estimates at different levels while GENMOD does not (opposite to what my supervisor stated). But I am not sure if "random effects" in the SAS documentation is referring to random slopes. 

Therefore, if I am using a random intercept only model, using 3 level clustered data, a binary outcome, and modeling upper level fixed effects what is the most appropriate statistical method? What would be the pros and cons fo GLIMMIX versus GENMOD and vice versa? 

Thanks so much, 

Jillian 

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Certainly PROC GLIMMIX can handle random intercept models

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_glimmix_a00...

using 3 level clustered data, a binary outcome, and modeling upper level fixed effects

I really don't know what "3 level clustered data" means, and I really don't know what "modeling upper level fixed effects" means. Please explain in more detail.

--
Paige Miller
halladje
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello there, 

• 3 level explanation: students (level 1) clustered in classrooms (level 2) clustered in schools (level 3). I have ~30,000 students in ~2,000 classrooms in ~200 schools.
  • upper level effects explanation: using teacher reported variables (class level) and student aggregated variables to the school level (school level variables) as independent variables in the model. 

Can GENMOD also model random intercept models? What would be the benefit of using one over the other? Can both calculate an accurate ICC for continuous and binary outcome data? 

Thanks!

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@halladje wrote:

Hello there, 

• 3 level explanation: students (level 1) clustered in classrooms (level 2) clustered in schools (level 3). I have ~30,000 students in ~2,000 classrooms in ~200 schools.

I would use the word "nested", not "clustered". Yes, GLIMMIX can handle nesting.

• upper level effects explanation: using teacher reported variables (class level) and student aggregated variables to the school level (school level variables) as independent variables in the model. 

Yes, you can aggregate the data to any level you think is appropriate.

Can GENMOD also model random intercept models? What would be the benefit of using one over the other? Can both calculate an accurate ICC for continuous and binary outcome data? 

I don't know.

--
Paige Miller
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

GENMOD does not fit random effects models. Instead, it fits a Generalized Estimating Equations (GEE) model when the REPEATED statement is specified. The GEE model is a population-averaged model and it could be used to model your data, but it does not provide correlation structures for multilevel data as discussed in this note. Multilevel (also called hierarchical) models can be fit in PROC MIXED (for normal responses) or PROC GLIMMIX and are subject-specific models. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation