BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Using SAS 9.4 1M6 on Windows.

I have been hired to replace a statistician who left a project.

One of my tasks is to help my boss revise a paper that the earlier statistician worked on. I can't get into specifics (it hasn't been published yet) but, briefly, the dependent variable was measured at 5 time points - 3 at or before baseline and 2 after treatment. The previous statistician used what she called "discontinuous growth curve analysis" but cited no source and the results tables don't make it clear what exactly she did.  My boss is not at all statistically inclined and, therefore, can't really help with this. The reviewers did not object to the previous analysis.

I'm thinking that this sounds like a model where there were multiple slopes fit to the results at different time points and that it would be expected that the baseline values would (on average) show no change while the slope from the 3rd baseline value to the first followup and from the first followup to the second would be expected to be nonzero.

I've not done this before in SAS. I'm not sure how to model it. I am considering:

PROC NLIN (seems right, but I have not used NLIN before)

PROC GLIMMIX with a spline effect, restricting it to one knot.
PROC GLIMMIX with an MM effect (I just found out about these).

Any thoughts are welcome

Peter

6 REPLIES 6
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks. That one uses a single "subject" and the only covariate is time (and it has a lot of times). I have about 70 subjects and only 5 times - so, I'm wondering if NLIN would be better than GLIMMIX
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I am not aware of any way to force GLIMMIX to fit a discontinuous model. I guess you could manually split up the data into the discrete portions that you wish to fit (if that fits your problem), although that may have disadvantages in estimating errors across the entire data set.

--
Paige Miller
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Create a variable "time since treatment", which takes value zero before treatment, to your data. Put both "time" (general trend) and "time since treatment" (treatment effect) in your model. Start with a linear model.

PG
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

It is not clear to me what your model is, but you can use repeated interior knots in a spline effect to get a piecewise polynomial. See the discussion, examples, and references at "Nonsmooth models and spline effects."

Ksharp
Super User

Since your data is Repeated Measure Experiment , I think you should use PROC NLMIXED / MIXED / GLIMMIX .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation