BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
yael
Quartz | Level 8

Hello to you,

Thanks for your attention,

I have a question regarding sample characters definition.

For example, I have yearly observations of 300 firms for 10 years (2004-2013), total observations are 3000.

30 firms are defined as partnership ownership for the whole period (2004-2013). So, if I want to check the difference between partnership ownership to other firms, I check the gap between the 30 firms to 270 firms.

But, part of the "other firms" (270) holds also partnership ownership in specific years but not throughout all the years.

Will it be correct to add also these observations to the group of partnership ownership, or should I use only

the 300 observations that I mentioned above.

I hope that I clarify my question

Thanks a lot

Yael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

That sort of membership may well depend on the particular analysis you are considering.

A number of options that come to mind are:

1) creating a separate category for those that switch

2) assigning membership in a category if a majority of the years are in that category

3) assigning membership based on the status at the start.

4) assigning membership based on the status at the end .

A particularly thorough analysis might consider all of these 4 and see if any of the particular rules make a difference.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

That sort of membership may well depend on the particular analysis you are considering.

A number of options that come to mind are:

1) creating a separate category for those that switch

2) assigning membership in a category if a majority of the years are in that category

3) assigning membership based on the status at the start.

4) assigning membership based on the status at the end .

A particularly thorough analysis might consider all of these 4 and see if any of the particular rules make a difference.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation