BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
alexgonzalez
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I’m testing whether two empirical distributions are identical or not. I have a group of people with two observations for the variable ‘EKC’, ‘before’ and ‘after’ some intervention. I’m using K-S for the comparison of both distributions. Additionally, observations come from a national survey, so each individual contains a survey weight (i.e. weight) to produce national estimates. See code below:

ods graphics on;

proc npar1way  data = dat edf;

freq weight;

class  time;

var    ekc;

ods output KS2Stats=ks;

run;

Notice in the table below, that both distribution are very similar (almost identical).

Percentiles

Before

After

Differences

% change

100% Max

99%

95%

90%

75% Q3

50% Median

25% Q1

10%

5%

1%

0% Min

Nevertheless, the K-S for the comparison of the two samples suggest the both distributions are different ((Pr > KSa) <.0001).  

I’m not sure how the fact that both empirical distributions are not independent (note they come from the same groups of individuals before and after some intervention) can affect the test. If so, can you please suggest an alternative valid test?

Thanks a lot,

A.G.

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User
P-Values measure statistical significance not practical significance. The difference there is measured and is statistically significant but perhaps a 0.3% decrease is not what you were looking for? In this case the distribution has shifted so it is different.
And remember if you have a large N, small differences are easier to pick up and more likely to be statistically significant even if they're not practically significant.
alexgonzalez
Quartz | Level 8
You're right Reeza, statistical and practical significance are not the same. Having said that, in this case I'm shocked the p-value for the KS test is <0.0001 even though both distributions almost perfectly overlap when plotted together. I would't expect to have such a small p-value. I should probably stick with my approach to comparing distributions using % changes, it's way more meaningful to me in this case.
Thank you!
Reeza
Super User
You cannot visually see it well, but the curve has shifted, if you graph the densities you may see it more easily.
If it's pre-post measures though, you usually analyze the difference in the scores and see if that's centered on 0.
alexgonzalez
Quartz | Level 8
This is clearly one of those cases whether there might be statistical significance, but not a practical one. I ran an alternative analysis to compare the two means (paired comparison), and they turned out to be 'statistically' significant.
Reeza
Super User
Then I'd argue your hypothesis is not well defined. Is it diff>0 or is it diff>x% or diff>45 units.
Right now you're using the 'default' hypothesis of 0 but that doesn't have to be true...
alexgonzalez
Quartz | Level 8
I'm not sure why you think my hypothesis is not well defined. I'm interested in the 'zero' differences. Maybe I was not clear enough in my previous message. Both, K-S and the paired test for the difference in means are both consistent and yield 'statistical significance'. Can you please clarify what you do think so?
Thanks.
Reeza
Super User
Your test is for a difference of 0, but you seem to want a difference of X% or Y raw value as a minimum which is a different hypothesis. You can change your hypothesis to account for practical significance....
alexgonzalez
Quartz | Level 8
Now I get what you mean, Reeza. That's exactly what I should do. Any advice on how to specify a difference other tha zero for the K-S test to compare two distributions in the NPAR1WAY procedure?
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The apparent extreme sensitivity of the KS test here is due to the use of the FREQ statement. Freq specifies a frequency, not a weight. When you say "x=10, freq=100" the procedure considers that you have 100 independent measurements at 10, not a single measurement with a sampling weight of 100. SAS does not provide a weighted KS test (if such a thing exists). 

Properly weighted statistics are provided by the SURVEYxxxx procs.

PG
alexgonzalez
Quartz | Level 8
When certain statistical procedure is not available for weighted observations (i.e. SURVEYxxxx proc), and alternative way to deal with that is to replicate observations in the dataset based on the survey weights.
I suspect there might be two issues here. As Reeza pointed out, the big sample size might be causing picking up statisticial significance when there is no. Additionally, observations from both groups are not independent. Not sure how sensitive KS is to this.
Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation