BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
grezek
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I'm creating a schedule of mortgage payments from a snap shot in time.  I know the total loan amount, total number of monthly periods, the interest rate (this is a fixed rate loan), the unpaid principal balance, principal payment and interest payment at all periods.  I am given an "average" CPR.  Is it possible to construct a column of CPR rates for the loan?  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.  -- George

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

For those of us who don't know, could you please tell us what CPR means? Thanks!

--
Paige Miller
grezek
Obsidian | Level 7
Sorry, I don't like it when people give abbreviations myself. It's constant
prepayment rate. -- George
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

As so often it would really help if you could provide some sample data together with the desired result in the form of a SAS data step that creates this data. 

I don't have sufficient subject matter expertise to just confidently answer your question without such sample data. 

I have copy/pasted what you wrote into chatGPT. Suggest you do the same and assess if the answer given is helpful/correct.

Spoiler

Yes, it is possible to construct a column of CPR (Conditional Prepayment Rate) rates for the loan given the total loan amount, total number of monthly periods, the interest rate, unpaid principal balance, principal payment, and interest payment at all periods. However, constructing this column may involve some complex calculations.

Here are the steps to construct a column of CPR rates:

1. Understand CPR: CPR is a measure of how quickly borrowers are expected to prepay their mortgages. It is expressed as a percentage of the remaining principal balance that is expected to be paid off each year. The "average" CPR you have is an average estimate of how quickly prepayments will occur over time.

2. Calculate Remaining Loan Balance: Start by calculating the remaining loan balance for each period. You can use the unpaid principal balance, which should be provided for each period. If you have the original loan amount, subtract the unpaid principal balance from it to get the remaining balance.

3. Estimate Prepayment Amount: Use the CPR to estimate the prepayment amount for each period. The formula is:

java
    Prepayment Amount = CPR * Remaining Loan Balance

The CPR rate is typically given on an annual basis, so you may need to adjust it for the monthly period you are calculating. For example, if you have a 6% annual CPR, you would use 0.5% (6% divided by 12) for a monthly calculation.

4. Calculate Monthly Payments: If you have the principal payment and interest payment for each period, you can calculate the total monthly payment. The sum of the principal and interest payments should equal the total payment for that period.

5. Determine New Principal Balance: The new principal balance for the next period can be calculated as follows:

java
    New Principal Balance = Previous Principal Balance - Principal Payment - Prepayment Amount

In this equation, "Previous Principal Balance" refers to the remaining principal balance at the beginning of the current period.

6. Repeat for Each Period: Repeat the above steps for each period in the loan.

By following these steps, you can create a column of CPR rates for the loan. Keep in mind that the accuracy of these calculations depends on the accuracy of the data and the CPR estimate you have. CPR rates can change over time, so it's important to use the appropriate estimate for each period. Additionally, you may want to use spreadsheet software like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets to automate these calculations for a large dataset.

SuadAnny
Calcite | Level 5

Sounds like you're diving deep into the mortgage payment matrix! If you've got the total loan deets, fixed interest rate, and average CPR, you should be able to whip up a column of CPR rates.

Consider using a formula that incorporates your known values and the average CPR to calculate the CPR rates for each period. If you find yourself lost in the numbers, may be a pro touch could help. Ever thought about reaching out to a mortgage expert, like Mortgage Broker in Chester? They might have some nifty tricks up their sleeve!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation