BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
uzma03505621
Obsidian | Level 7

I am using Proc transreg to identify which link function will be appropriate for my dependent variable in the GLM model. I used the code as follows:

proc transreg data=finalfile;
model boxcox(cost/lambda=-1 to 2 by .5)=identity(&variablelist);
run;

I get an error
ERROR: 24 invalid values were encountered while attempting to transform variable cost. Is it because my dependent variable has 24 observations with zero costs.

How can I resolve this issue

As I changed the code by adding parameter=1

It works giving me the following output and that lamba=0 is selected

The TRANSREG Procedure
TRANSREG Univariate Algorithm Iteration History for BoxCox(cost)
Iteration
Number
Average
Change
Maximum
Change
R-Square Criterion
Change
Note
1 0.00000 0.00000 0.15025   Converged

Algorithm converged.

Please assist me with right method. Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
jiltao
SAS Super FREQ

Your Lambda list includes 0, which is the log transformation. Log of 0 is undefined, and that is why you received that error message.

You might want to exclude these observations, at least for lambda=0.

WarrenKuhfeld
Ammonite | Level 13

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.4/statug/statug_transreg_details02.htm

As you figured out, you can specify PARAMETER= to add a value to each datum to avoid log 0 and other invalid operations. There are many other ways to get nonlinear transformations in TRANSREG and other procedures.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation