BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
joesmama
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

When using PROC PHREG, 

If my model is made up of entirely categorical variables and each of those variables is put in the class statement with a reference group, do I still need to use the BASELINE option to define the reference group for the model? Or is this redundant? 

proc phreg data=grands plots=survival;

class grade(ref="Grade 1")  gender(ref="Male") marst(ref="Married") stage(ref="Stage 1");
model survivem*cs_vital(0) = grade gender marst;
by stage;
run;

Thank you.  

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

@joesmama wrote:

do I still need to use the BASELINE option to define the reference group for the model? Or is this redundant? 

That's not what the baseline statement does. 

The BASELINE statement creates a SAS data set (named by the OUT= option) that contains the baseline function estimates at the event times of each stratum for every set of covariates in the COVARIATES= data set. 

The default reference values are used if not specified elsewhere, if that's what you're asking.

@joesmama wrote:

Hello,

When using PROC PHREG, 

If my model is made up of entirely categorical variables and each of those variables is put in the class statement with a reference group, do I still need to use the BASELINE option to define the reference group for the model? Or is this redundant? 

proc phreg data=grands plots=survival;

class grade(ref="Grade 1")  gender(ref="Male") marst(ref="Married") stage(ref="Stage 1");
model survivem*cs_vital(0) = grade gender marst;
by stage;
run;

Thank you.  

joesmama
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, its was the COVARIATES dataset I meant. Thanks for the help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation