BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hello,

I have repeated-measures data of about 590 adolescents. Each variable is measured once per day, with 3 to 10 days per teen. One variable is caffeine consumption, which I have coded as 0 (none) or 1 (some).  I want to calculate a measure of intraindividual variability for caffeine consumption, analogous to the intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) that is used on continuous variables. ICC for continuous variables is calculated as random effect variance / total variance, where the random effect is the individual. Does anyone have knowledge of an analogous measure for a binary variable, and how to calculate this measure in SAS? This measure should have guidelines for what is poor, moderate, and high intraindividual consistency. For example, ICC values less than 0.5, between 0.5 and 0.75, between 0.75 and 0.9, and greater than 0.90 are indicative of poor, moderate, good, and excellent reliability, respectively (Koo & Lee, 2016).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

One option would be to fit a GEE model with this binary variable as the response and using the exchangeable correlation structure. This will report a measure of the correlation among the repeated measures over the clusters (subjects) in the data. For example:

proc gee;
class id;
model caffeine = / dist=bin;
repeated subject=id / type=exch;
run;

No global evaluation of the correlation can ever be very useful since this is highly dependent on the subject area and details of the study. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

One option would be to fit a GEE model with this binary variable as the response and using the exchangeable correlation structure. This will report a measure of the correlation among the repeated measures over the clusters (subjects) in the data. For example:

proc gee;
class id;
model caffeine = / dist=bin;
repeated subject=id / type=exch;
run;

No global evaluation of the correlation can ever be very useful since this is highly dependent on the subject area and details of the study. 

confooseddesi89
Quartz | Level 8

You said this correlation wouldn't be "useful" - would you say the same of an ICC?

My goal of obtaining the analogous measure for the binary variable is to report that there is at least moderate intraindividual variation in caffeine per person across the repeated measurements - which would justify examining the within-person effect.

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ
I didn't say the correlation wouldn't be useful... I said a global evaluation of it like "less than .5 is poor, .5 to .75 is moderate ..." is not useful. What is "poor", "moderate", "good", etc, is highly dependent on the subject area and details of the phenomenon being studied. You will have to decide for your situation what implications the value obtained has on your analytic goals.
confooseddesi89
Quartz | Level 8

Okay, I understand. I have seen papers use a cutoff for the ICC, and I'll follow those guidelines in my manuscript (even if they're a bit arbitrary).

EDIT: For others interested in using such a measure in a publication, I suggest citing the following paper, which discusses assessing correlations within individuals in repeated-measures data:

Liang K-Y, Zeger SL. Longitudinal data analysis using generalized linear models. Biometrika 1986; 73(1): 13-22.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation