BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Estee
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am unsure if I am using the best method to analyze my dataset and would like some help/feedback on this.

I am looking at 8 states from 2010 to 2014 at a monthly level. 5 out of the 8 states eventually receive the treatment, which is the implementation of a mandatory state policy. The time at which the policy was implemented varies from state to state. Also, in some of these 5 states, there is a prior non-mandatory phase, where the policy is suggested but not required. So there are a total of 3 phases total: no policy, non-mandatory phase, mandatory phase. 

The outcome is child deaths per state-year-month (these deaths are related to the policy being considered).

The research question is as follows:

1) Is this policy effective in reducing child deaths?

How can this best be analyzed?

I wonder if the following model will do the trick:

Poisson regression model

Y = B0 + B1 Time + B2 Group + B3 Time * Group;

where Y = number of child deaths offset by total number of children

Time: 1 = no policy period | 2 = non-mandated period | 3 = mandated period,

Group: 1 = Never issued policy | 2 = issued a mandatory policy | 3 = issued a mandatory policy + had a non-mandatory phase.

And with a random intercept effect to cluster all states together. 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

"Are state policies effective in reducing child deaths?"

Isn't that question a bit too broad, given that you are studying the effect of a single policy?

PG
Estee
Calcite | Level 5

Hi PG,

I didn't provide full detail, but the type of deaths we are looking into are related to the policies we are considering.

I will see if I can make some changes to the original question to make this clear.

Thank you for your feedback.

ballardw
Super User

@Estee wrote:

Hi,

I am unsure if I am using the best method to analyze my dataset and would like some help/feedback on this.

I am looking at 8 states from 2010 to 2014 at a monthly level. 5 out of the 8 states eventually receive the treatment, which is the implementation of a mandatory state policy. The time at which the policy was implemented varies from state to state. Also, in some of these 5 states, there is a prior non-mandatory phase, where the policy is suggested but not required. So there are a total of 3 phases total: no policy, non-mandatory phase, mandatory phase. 

The outcome is child deaths per state-year-month (these deaths are related to the policy being considered).

The research question is as follows:

1) Is this policy effective in reducing child deaths?

Answers to "What type of indication would indicate effectiveness?" might get you started. Then you would at least have a starting point of likely tests.

Are you more concerned with "within state" or "all states combined"?

Are concerned with just no policy/non-mandatory/mandatory or how long after it became mandatory?

Likely you need to be considering standardized rate of some sort, possibly within age groups and actual raw counts could be misleading. If the number of deaths increases but is less relative to change in population then even though the numbers are larger the rate would be declining. Or have two "counts" live vs death and event to tell which.

A simplistic approach since the result is basically live/death might lead to logistic regression similar to:

data example;
   input stateid $ when   death count ;
datalines;
A  1 0  100000
A  1 1  445
A  2 0  75000
A  2 1  123
A  3 0  230000
A  3 1  333
B  1 0  400000
B  1 1  812
B  2 0  100000
B  2 1  222
B  3 0  600000
B  3 1  444
;                               .
run;
proc logistic data=example;
   class when (ref='1');
   model death(event='1') = when;
   weight count;
freq count; /* realized later that freq is more appropriate than weight*/ run;

Where the when coding is 1 the earlier, 2 is non-mandatory and 3 mandatory.

Odds ratios of when 3 vs 1 with values less than one might be an indicator of reduction.

I didn't include the "year" of data but that should be included in the data at least if not necessarily the model.

Some tricky parts are addressing the counts by year as the event likely didn't change on the calendar year boundary.

Children's age or age group likely should be included in the data and the model if there is reason to believe age groups may be affected differently.

And if the most at risk are the very young you may need to consider birth status such as premature or low birth weight (or other health scores)

Estee
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Ballardw,

I see I have to work on the question a bit more.

I've modified my post to clarify these points; I will provide answers in this reply as well.

1) What type of indication would indicate effectiveness?

This would be indicated by a reduction in child deaths after the non-mandatory or mandatory phase, perhaps compared to any no policy phase. 

2) Are you more concerned with "within state" or "all states combined"?

&

Are concerned with just no policy/non-mandatory/mandatory or how long after it became mandatory?

I am not concerned with looking at individual states. I am focusing on only the effect of the policy. Whether I should consider the length after which it became mandatory is something I would need help with. The more precise the better. However, I do plan to adjust and cluster by state in a Poisson type regression to build the most appropriate model.

Thank you for your suggestions on covariates to add in the model! You bring up great points and they will be considered in the model!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation