BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kastchei
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I'm using PROC GEE to analyze a multinomial generalized logit model (4-category outcome = 3 logit models).  I am running LSMeans to get all pairwise differences with an adjustment for multiple comparisons.  I notice that the adjustments are made viewing the 3 logit models separately rather than jointly as a system; thus the adjustment is lot smaller than I expected.  For example, if I have 6 pairwise comparisons per logit model and 3 logit models, I have a total of 18 pairwise comparisons.  I figured the adjustment would be for 18 comparisons, but the adjustment only seems to be for 6 comparisons.  For example, if using Bonferroni*, adjusted p-value = p-value * 6, rather than p-value * 18.

Is this ok to do?  Can the 3 logit models really be viewed independently so I don't have to adjust for comparisons made in the other models?

This difference can be seen using LSMEstimate and coding all pairwise comparisons.  If I use category = joint, I get the expected adjustment for 18 comparisons, but if I use category = separate, then I get the same results as LSMeans, adjusted for only 6 comparisons.

(* Note, I am not actually using Bonferroni, but it was the easiest to use as an example.)

Warm regards,

Michael

proc gee data = cogFunc._07_Model descending;
    class ID outcomeClassN exposureC (ref = '1 = Low');

model outcomeClassN = exposureC / dist = multinomial link = gLogit type3 wald;
    repeated subject = ID;

lsMeans exposureC / diff adjust = bon;
    lsmEstimate exposureC 'Very high vs. Low'           0  0  1 -1,
                          'High vs. Low'                0  1  0 -1,
                          'Intermediate vs. Low'        1  0  0 -1,
                          'Very high vs. Intermediate' -1  0  1  0,
                          'High vs. Intermediate'      -1  1  0  0,
                          'Very high vs. High'          0 -1  1  0
        / category = joint adjust = bon;
run;

1 REPLY 1
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You can combine as many test p-values for correction as you want with proc multtest. Just output the p-values to a dataset using ODS OUTPUT and refer to that dataset with the INPVALUES= option of proc multtest.

PG

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation