BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
trash
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all. So I have this problem and I have no idea where to begin: 

Five bodies of water were measured for strontium levels.  The five bodies of water were: 

• Var1=Grayson’s Pond, Var2=Beaver Lake, Var3=Angler’s Cove, Var4=Appletree Lake, Var5=Rock River.

Determine if the average strontium levels differ by the body of water.  Thirty water specimens were used (6 at each location) and the strontium level measured.  The data set is Strontium.txt  (attached). Here it is from notepad:

Var1 Var2 Var3 Var4 Var5
28.2 39.6 46.3 41 56.3
33.2 40.8 42.1 44.1 54.1
36.4 37.9 43.5 46.4 59.4
34.6 37.1 48.8 40.2 62.7
29.1 43.6 43.7 38.6 60
31 42.4 40.1 36.3 57.3

1. Perform the appropriate data manipulation step for analysis.
  2. Perform an ANOVA on these data. Check the assumptions of the hypothesis tests.  State whether each assumption is met and provide support for your statements.
  3. Consider your check of the ANOVA assumptions in Part 2). Choose the nonparametric ANOVA procedure that you feel is more appropriate, based on the assumption you consider to be most tenuous.  Re-analyze the data using this nonparametric test and compare the results with the results of the parametric ANOVA you performed in Part 1).

I know I would need to add formats/labels but I just have no idea how to begin. Anything will help!! I just need some output to analyze!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

I guess you should start with getting your data into SAS. 

Here's a video on importing your data:

http://video.sas.com/detail/videos/sas-analytics-u/video/4573016758001/creating-a-sas-table-from-a-c...

Or here:

https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/modules/inputting-data-into-sas/

Then I would suggest, looking at PROC ANOVA documentation. 

This example is pretty close to yours. I would recommend first working through the example. This will get you familiar with the results and ensure you know which variables are what.  Then you need to figure out how to get your data in the same format (STEP1) and run the ANOVA on your data. 

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statug_anova_gettingstarted01.htm&docsetV...

trash
Fluorite | Level 6

okay well here is what I attempted in trying to import data, but its wrong. I don't know how to account for labeling cause what I did didn't work.

LIBNAME MyLib "D:\Statistical Data Management\MyLib\";
PROC FORMAT;
         Value var1$ "var1" = "Grayson's Pond";
         Value var2$ "var2" = "Beaver Lake" ;
         Value var3$ "var3" = "Angler's Cove";
         Value var4$ "var4" = "Appletree Lake";
         Value var5$ "var5" = "Rock River" ;
DATA mylib.strontium;
     INFILE 'D:\Statistical Data Management\MyLib\Projects\Project #2\strontium.txt'
     DELIMITER='09'x;
     INPUT var1 var2 var3 var4 var5;
     FORMAT var1 $var1. var2 $var2. var3 $var3. var4 $var4. var5 $var5.;
TITLE1 'ONE-WAY ANOVA OF STRONTIUM LEVELS';
RUN;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation