BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi Caroline,

I would never code it with proc glm.  See Walter Stoup (2013) Generalized Linear Mixed Models. 

PROC GLM just does not do a good job of analyzing repeated measures or split plot models.

The fact that the crop is not the same across all dates does present a problem in terms of estimability of means.  There will be "missing" cells by design.  To get around this, I would fit a cell means model, and use LSMESTIMATE statements to derive lower order means and comparisons.

proc glimmix;

class nem trt crop blk date;

model  lgsprCysts100=nem*trt*crop*date/noint; /* This fits a cell means model */

random intercept nem|trt|crop/subject=blk;

random date/ residual subject=nem*trt*crop*blk type=arh(1); /* This may be problematical to fit, due to the small number of levels for date, and incomplete subjects.  If so, try type=chol */

run;

The LSMESTIMATE statements will need to be added later. I also have a hunch that the dependent variable is a count variable, and rather than a log transform prior to analysis, a log link should be used so that the dependence of the variance on the mean can also be captured.

Steve Denham

Message was edited by: Steve Denham

palolix
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot Steve!

I used to run my models (also split plot models) as a first run with proc glm in order to pool, so I can get a clean model when using proc mixed.    In this case, I think I do not have a repeated measures, because not only the crops are different every year, but also the planting dates, so the circunstances differ every year.

Caroline

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I could give it a shot, but details of the design, including the nature of all variables, are absolutely a minimum requirement, as per .

Steve Denham

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation