BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

I have a list of chart numbers for a chart review.  I used the retain seed methodology to produce a randomized list which nicely split the data out equally among discharge months and patient services to replicate the approximate percentages of the entire database.

However, what if I want to manipulate the volumes per patient service i.e. so that I get less newborn/obstetric cases and a higher volume of medicine charts? 

Thanks very much.

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

I think you want a Stratified random Sample, stratified by the case type.

You can use PROC SURVEYSELECT

See here:

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/faq/statified_samples.htm

shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeza

Thanks very much....I'm not sure I understand fully what the article is telling me to do but I'll give it a try and post back if I have questions.

Thanks again!

shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hi

Since posting this I've upgraded to SAS 9.3.  The following code is working in that it provides a 2% sampling per PatServ but what if I want to have different values per PatServ value?  For instance, what I usually do is use a Survey Sample Calculator online to come up with how many charts need to be reviewed for a 95% confidence level and 5% confidence interval.  So I know how many charts I want the total to be but I want to be able to indicate how many per PatServ (either by % or number).

For example, if the sample for a database is 348 charts, I want to be able to indicate 285 (81.9%) of charts are if PatServ 10; 11 (3.2%) if PatServ = 20; 20 (5.7%) if PatServ = 30; etc.

procsort data=&import_result;

by PatServ;

run;

procsurveyselect data = &import_result

method=sys rate=.02 seed=1234

out= &sample_list;

strata PatServ;

run;

Thanks for any assistance. 

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

You need to create a dataset, say mySampSizes,  containing PatServ and _NSIZE_ : the number of units to select from each strata, and use SAMPSIZE=mySampSizes instead of rate=. Or alternatively, you can include a variable _RATE_ and use SAMPRATE=mySampSizes.

PG

PG
shellp55
Quartz | Level 8

Hi PG

Thanks for the quick response.

What I actually did, but I don't know if it is correct, was to include the sample size per PatServ (as it would be in ascending order):

procsort data=&import_result;

by PatServ;

run;

procsurveyselect data= &import_result

out= &sample_list

seed=12345678

sampsize=(285, 11,20, 0,14, 3,0, 11,4, 0,0);

strata PatServ;

run;

This appears to have worked correctly in giving me the number of charts per patient service that I requested.  Conversely, I assume I could indicate samprate() and provide the rates per PatServ. 

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

That works fine, but it's fragile. There is no easy way to tell if the proper sample size is assigned to the right strata. That's why I suggested to use a dataset. In creating such a dataset, you have the opportunity to state the formal rule that decides your sample sizes. It could be something like :

proc sql;

create table mySampSizes as

select PatServ,

case when count(*) < 20 then 0

else ceil(0.1*count(*))

end as _NSIZE_

from &import_result

group by PatServ

order by PatServ;

This way documents your choices and automatically assigns the sample sizes to the proper strata.

PG

PG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation