BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Lani
Calcite | Level 5
I have a column named "EffectiveDate". I want to check for a record that has an EffectiveDate of "01-01-2010", then this record need to be removed. I don't know how to compare since the EffectiveDate is formated in Date type and the values look numerics. Can I use put function to convert the EffectiveDate to string? then I compare it with "01-01-2010". Your inputs are much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Suggestion: you need not post in more than one SAS discussion forum.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
SSN_Ravi
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Lani,

Yes, you can convert "Effective Date" variable into charracter variable. Then you can compare.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
In addition to converting the variable, you can also use Date constants to perform your selection or your deletion in a DATA step program (or PROC SQL step):
[pre]
if EffectiveDate = '01JAN2010'd then delete;
[/pre]

The date constant form 'DDMMMYYYY'D or 'DDMMMYY'D allows you to supply a date in "readable" format and the D at the end of the constant tells SAS to convert that value to an internal date value, so it would be as though you were specifying this:
[pre]
if EffectiveDate = 18263 then delete;
[/pre]

because '01jan2010'D is the date constant way to specify 18263 -- which represents January 1, 2010, which will be 18,263 days from Jan 1, 1960.

If EffectiveDate was a DATE/TIME variable, then you might have to use a different function to specify your comparison...something like:

[pre]
if datepart(EffectiveDate) = '01jan2010'd then delete;
[/pre]

cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Health and Life Sciences Learning

Need courses to help you with SAS Life Sciences Analytics Framework, SAS Health Cohort Builder, or other topics? Check out the Health and Life Sciences learning path for all of the offerings.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation