BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Will168
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Recently I came across an article 'Best Practices for Migrating SAS Code to Leverage CAS' - Page 43 that says we can use Order By in Proc Fedsql and running on CAS. 

proc fedsql sessref=casauto;
create table baseball_desc as
select distinct a.*
from baseball a
order by team DESC;
quit;

I tried and got error msg saying this is not supported.

ERROR: Unsupported operation in FedSQL query: ORDER BY.
ERROR: The action stopped due to errors.
ERROR: The FedSQL action was not successful.

I searched the net and found many examples for emulating proc sort or to run order by in proc sql before uploading the ordered data to CAS.  What are the options for doing sorting in CAS?

Thanks,

Will

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Out of curiosity, what version of Viya are you using? The article you refer to looks to be referencing Viya 3.4.

Will168
Calcite | Level 5

We are using SAS Viya 3.5

Naz10
Fluorite | Level 6

Did you find a solution to your question? I'm getting the same error. Thanks

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Are you sure the CAS object you are trying to create actually supports the concept of "order"?

Order BY is something you normally only need for printing reports.  

suprax1979
Fluorite | Level 6

And to add on to this comment...

I was trying a similar operation in Proc FedSQL and received the same error message, and I found that it worked when I omitted the "CREATE TABLE... AS" statement. I believe it's not supported when creating a table, only when printing the output of the table.

sqlGoddess
SAS Employee

jsut another behavior to be aware of. FEDSQL can't order by a calculated column, so any ordering has to be in a separate step, once the column has been built in a prior step.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation