BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cosmid
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I got the following error message when I tried to practice SAS Viya in SAS Studio:

My code:

/*Start a session named mySession using the existing CAS server connection.*/

cas MySession sessopts=(caslib=casuser locale="en_US");

ERROR: The request to start or connect to a session failed. Specify a UUID to connect to an existing session or specify a session name, port, and host name to start a sesseion.

My question is, what session name, host, and port I can use for practice purposes?

Are cashost=cloud.example.com and casport=5570 available to everyone to use, and free?

The existing CAS server connection written in the comment from the snippet, what is it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you sign up for a 30 day free trial, you'll be able to run SAS Viya for Learners that way, I don't think an edu address is required.

SAS Learning Subscription Free Trial | SAS

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I don't believe cloud.example.com is a valid CAS host, rather an example of the name of a CAS host. You would instead use the appropriate CAS host for your Viya environment. How are you running SAS? Are you using the SAS Viya for Learners environment or your existing non-Viya SAS installation?
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
cosmid
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I'm currently going through the SAS documentation from External Learning in the SAS Viya e-course. My lab hours ran out. So I am trying to run it in SAS Studio.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
SAS Studio is a web application available in both Viya and SAS 9.4 and can be run from a local desktop machine or a server based deployment, it's not clear from your response where and how SAS Studio is running.

I would recommend you use SAS Viya for Learners if you are not, as this has an associated CAS server.

https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/viya-for-learners.html
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
cosmid
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I guess I am running SAS Studio in SAS 9.4? I doubt it Viya is available to me.

The link doesn't work for me since I don't have an university email.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Run this in SAS Studio to confirm what SAS products and version you are using:

proc product_status;
run;
cosmid
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Got a pretty long list, Base SAS, SAS/STAT, SAS/GRAPH, SAS/ETS, etc. Do not see Viya in the list.

cosmid
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

The versions are either 9.4 or 15.2

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yep, that's 9.4.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you sign up for a 30 day free trial, you'll be able to run SAS Viya for Learners that way, I don't think an edu address is required.

SAS Learning Subscription Free Trial | SAS

Data never sleeps