BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Asif4862
Quartz | Level 8

Hello All,

How I could upgrade SAS Viya from 3.4 to 3.5?

Do you have any recommendation or suggestion?

FYI: I've read this link: https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=calcdc&cdcVersion=3.5&docsetId=dplyml0phy0lax&docsetTarget=n07u...

Is there any easy way or method for upgrade from Viya 3.4 to Viya 3.5?

Note: The existing SAS Viya 3.4 are on 2 AWS instances [ MPP(massively parallel processing) CAS on 2 hosts]

i) One host dedicated to run as a CAS Worker
ii) And the other as CAS Controller alongside all of the Viya infrastructure services.

Thank you in advance

Thanks,
Asif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Asif4862
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you @alexal for the update and yes you are right. 

I did not create mount for /sas/upgrade/sas_repos and that's why I'm having this error on sas-worker-1 server.

I did copy whole sas_repos directory from one server to another server (placed in /sas/upgrade/sas_repos) and I did re-try and this time no error or warning msg during installation.

Thanks for you help.

Thanks,
Asif

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alexal
SAS Employee
Everything you need to know to perform the upgrade from SAS Viya 3.4 to 3.5 is described in the document that you already mentioned. Do you have any specific questions about the upgrade process?
Asif4862
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you @alexal 

The following are the steps that I did for upgrade from SAS Viya 3.4 to 3.5, Please let me know if you have any suggestion or recommendation?

1) Created new repository mirror from SAS Viya 3.5 SOE (SAS_Viya_deployment_data.zip)  and placed in /sas/upgrade/sas_repos directory

2) Created new playbook(/sas/upgrade/sas_viya_playbook) and customized files(vars.yml, inventory.ini and ansible.cfg) according to the previous playbook(3.4) files vars.yml, inventory.ini and ansible.cfg 

3) When I deployed new playbook this error message is occurred:

2020-08-24 20:32:11,692 p=83030 u=root | TASK [Install sas-cleanutils] **************************************************

2020-08-24 20:32:14,665 p=83030 u=root | fatal: [cas-worker-1]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "file:///sas/upgrade/sas_repos/repos/shipped/depentviya/136/depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] curl#37 - \"Couldn't open file /sas/upgrade/sas_repos/repos/shipped/depentviya/136/depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum/repodata/repomd.xml\"\nTrying other mirror.\n\n\n One of the configured repositories failed (depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum),\n and yum doesn't have enough cached data to continue. At this point the only\n safe thing yum can do is fail. There are a few ways to work \"fix\" this:\n\n 1. Contact the upstream for the repository and get them to fix the problem.\n\n 2. Reconfigure the baseurl/etc. for the repository, to point to a working\n upstream. This is most often useful if you are using a newer\n distribution release than is supported by the repository (and the\n packages for the previous distribution release still work).\n\n 3. Run the command with the repository temporarily disabled\n yum --disablerepo=sas-depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum ...\n\n 4. Disable the repository permanently, so yum won't use it by default. Yum\n will then just ignore the repository until you permanently enable it\n again or use --enablerepo for temporary usage:\n\n yum-config-manager --disable sas-depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum\n or\n subscription-manager repos --disable=sas-depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum\n\n 5. Configure the failing repository to be skipped, if it is unavailable.\n Note that yum will try to contact the repo. when it runs most commands,\n so will have to try and fail each time (and thus. yum will be be much\n slower). If it is a very temporary problem though, this is often a nice\n compromise:\n\n yum-config-manager --save --setopt=sas-depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum.skip_if_unavailable=true\n\nfailure: repodata/repomd.xml from sas-depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.\nfile:/sas/upgrade/sas_repos/repos/shipped/depentviya/136/depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] curl#37 - \"Couldn't open file /sas/upgrade/sas_repos/repos/shipped/depentviya/136/depentviya-136-x64_redhat_linux_6-yum/repodata/repomd.xml\"\n", "rc": 1, "results": []}
2020-08-24 20:32:20,690 p=83030 u=root | ok: [deployTarget]
2020-08-24 20:32:20,691 p=83030 u=root | NO MORE HOSTS LEFT *************************************************************
2020-08-24 20:32:20,691 p=83030 u=root | PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
2020-08-24 20:32:20,691 p=83030 u=root | cas-worker-1 : ok=63 changed=3 unreachable=0 failed=1
2020-08-24 20:32:20,691 p=83030 u=root | deployTarget : ok=70 changed=2 unreachable=0 failed=0
2020-08-24 20:32:20,692 p=83030 u=root | localhost : ok=10 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=0

Look like the new playbook going to install SAS Viya 3.5 from start and that's why error message appeared on "Install sas-cleanutils" for second server cas-worker-1

Do you have any suggestion or recommendation how I could deal with it?

Thanks,
Asif

Asif4862
Quartz | Level 8

@alexal do you have any suggestion or recommendation ?

Thanks,
Asif

alexal
SAS Employee
Are you sure /sas/upgrade/sas_repos directory was mounted on a "cas-worker-1" machine?
Asif4862
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you @alexal for the update and yes you are right. 

I did not create mount for /sas/upgrade/sas_repos and that's why I'm having this error on sas-worker-1 server.

I did copy whole sas_repos directory from one server to another server (placed in /sas/upgrade/sas_repos) and I did re-try and this time no error or warning msg during installation.

Thanks for you help.

Thanks,
Asif

alexal
SAS Employee

You're welcome. I'm glad the problem has been resolved.