BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sindrew
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I have a report with multiple sections, and all sections are filtered by a date filter (single select list box). This list box sets a parameter which is then used in a calculated item say 

IF ('StartDate'N <= 'MyParameter'p)
Return 1
ELSE 0

This works in Section 1. The parameter filters the data and in I can see a parameter interaction when I view all interactions for that section.

However, I want to use the same category fiter in a different section to set a different parameter. Again, a single select list box, with the same category. A new parameter, and a new calculated item (with the same calculation).

IF ('StartDate'N <= 'MyParameter2'p)
RETURN 1
ELSE 0

Now this doesn't compute the same numbers as in section 1. When I view the interactions I can see a parameter interaction from section 1 to objects in my current sections. Why is there a parameter action from my section "Oversikt" to my vertical container and pivot table? How can I remove it? Deleting it from the interaction screen does not help. There is only one datasource in the report.

interactions.png 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

Really strange.

I have created a report with two sections.

I each section i have one list box and one table, on the canvas 🙂

I have created two date parameters each connected to one list box.

I have created two calculated measures one for each table:

IF ( date <= 'dat1'p )
RETURN 1
ELSE 0

I use the same data source for all objects.

My report works as expected and the only interaction I get is two parameter interactions between each listbox and the table where the calculated measure is within.

The list boxes works totally separated for me....

There must be something I (or you :)) do in another way.

//Fredrik

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

Where have you placed the list box?

If you place it in the report query or section query you it will automaticallye filter your data.

If you place it on the "report canvas" instead no automatic filtering will occur, only the parameter filter.

I use "help tables" when I want to place filters in the report/section query area, so that they won't filter the data.

Which version of VA are you using - 7.4?

//Fredrik

sindrew
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

It's on the canvas. The report should filter by the parameter as it accumulates data - there is no direct interaction between that list box and other items e.g tables or graphs, besides that a calculated item with the parameter is placed in a table. There are other listboxes that filters that remaining data, and they work as expected.

What I don't understand is, why does a parameter from one section used in one calculated item affect a different section with a different parameter and calculated item? The category which I filter by is the same.

The listbox contains dates, and the parameter is also a date, if it matters.

It's VA 7.4 - There's always next version.

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

Really strange.

I have created a report with two sections.

I each section i have one list box and one table, on the canvas 🙂

I have created two date parameters each connected to one list box.

I have created two calculated measures one for each table:

IF ( date <= 'dat1'p )
RETURN 1
ELSE 0

I use the same data source for all objects.

My report works as expected and the only interaction I get is two parameter interactions between each listbox and the table where the calculated measure is within.

The list boxes works totally separated for me....

There must be something I (or you :)) do in another way.

//Fredrik

sindrew
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

It was me Smiley Embarassed

In my calculated measure I used another and different calculated measure that used my parameter from the list box in first section. This affected all other calculations in other sections.

Thanks for spending some time on the issue. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation