BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MarcelHaas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I want to build a kind of DWH for tables that form the basis for a large variety of VA reports. These tables will have, e.g. all bills, all members, all providers, etc. Based on the reports I will define filters for the bits of data that I need. Often, I will want to combine information from different tables (e.g. total of bills from all members in a given city). I am wondering what the best way to so is. In particular:

- If I create a star schema or other query in the data builder, my impression is that a new table in memory is created. This practically multiplies the size of the bills table (the biggest I have) with the number of reports I want to base o it (for all different combinations of data). Is there a way to have a kind of 'view', i.e. a data query that doesn't result in a table in memory (but, of course metadata does get created), but only when it gets called (at the moment of the creation of a report) and then doesn't exist anymore once the visualisation is made?

- If I create one big mastertable, it means that all data of a given member or provider is repeated on all lines. I think there is no way around that if I want one data source?

- If I have the separate tables for bills, members and providers, it means that I cannot combine the city of a member with the amount on a bill, without a data query, right?

All input will be very helpful!

Cheers, Marcel

1 REPLY 1
MarcelHaas
Calcite | Level 5

It seems now that it is best to use Star Schemas. The only annoyabnce could be that between fact tables and dimension tables one can only use one linking variable, not a combination.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation