BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mariusg
Obsidian | Level 7

I want to implement a Custom Geo Region Map with a simple DrillDown.

For example :

A Geo Region Map with the 16 states in Germany.

A User should have the ability to click an certain state and drill down to a district.

A district is a single ID for example (MAPSGFK.GERMANY_ATTR)

Bildschirmfoto 2014-03-26 um 12.48.34.png

so the hierarchy will be ID1 (state) - ID (district)

Simple proc gmap example (with the districts)

Bildschirmfoto 2014-03-26 um 11.38.52.png

I implemented a quick simple and created a Region Map with all the states.

Bildschirmfoto 2014-03-26 um 11.38.15.png

Mapping ID did not work correctly - only ID1 or the Name.

Is this actually possible in VA 6.3/6.4?

I found this document Country and Region Subdivision Lookup Values for SAS Visual Analytics 6.3 and 6.4

So lookup is actually only working for states/ID1?

My workaround :

- I build a second map with a Geo Bubble Map (longitude & latitude) and if the user clicked a state, the Bubble map updates and shows only the Bubbles in the selected state.

This is just a quick fix.

Maybe I did something wrong and it`s possible to display the districts?

Greetings from Germany,

Marius

22 REPLIES 22
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Sitting in a SAS Global Forum paper right now "More Than a Map: Location Intelligence with SAS® Visual Analytics" and heard from that custom geo maps will be possible in the next scheduled release 6.5 in September.

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
mariusg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey,thanks for your fast response. The feature sounds interesting.

Can you or falko tell me a bit more about how you want to implement the feature? Does it work out with the districts (as explained above / ID example DE-01001) ?

thank you,

marius

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Marius,

Your post was very timely... when I saw it, Falko had just mentioned it in his presentation and then I told him about your question afterwards. 🙂  Exact details about the implementation were not given during the presentation. I got the feeling this would be part of the ESRI map service and using custom shape map files.

Cheers,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

At this stage SAS Visual Analytics 6.3/6.4 only supports country (level=0) and state (level=1) lookups in order to render regional (choropleth) maps. As Michelle mentioned we are looking into supporting additional levels by allowing to add custom shape/boundary files (such as district or ZIP codes). The idea is to allow customers to add their own boundary files and register those within the VA environment accordingly. Once registered you will be able to select new regional levels as you do with other geo roles today. Hope this helps. Cheers, Falko

FrankPoppe
Quartz | Level 8

I too was at the SAS Global Forum. I missed Falko's presentation (there is sometimes too much going at the same time), but had hit the same problem already and have tried to get some information on it in the demo area.

I understood that all information on the kind of areas a user can select, on the map data sets that should be used for a particular selection and on the Id columns available in that data set is stored in two (?) SAS data sets. There is currently no user interface to change the information in those data sets (as Falko mentions that is yet to be added), but it is possible to change or to add information 'by hand', at your own risk of course.

I was told that your local tech support people should be able to tell you which data sets that are and where they live (if I already knew I would happily share it here).

Perreby
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Has SAS made any progress with regards to improving the GEOMAPS to allow users to create their own customs regions?

If so can I please get more details on this.

Thanks

Riaan

sat_lr
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Michelle,

I am facing issues creating a Geo Region Map. However I do not find any issues with Geo Bubble Map.

When I use the geo region map, I convert region data item into geogrpahy data item by selecting 'country or region' option. Then I drag and drop on the geo region map.

However I find issues here. I am not getting the map and I am getting this following error ''The geographic data sets needed to display this report object were not found; possible centroids service failure''. Pls let me know how to overcome this error.

greetings

mariusg
Obsidian | Level 7

hi ,

at the moment we already work with va 7.1 + osm, but there is still no solution to display districts or german zip codes right?

I guess because there was no change in the new documents Country and Region Subdivision Lookup Values for SAS Visual Analytics 7.1

Maybe somebody can deliver more details?

thank you

marius

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Marius,

As you have discovered this feature of custom shape/boundary files wasn't added in the SAS Visual Analytics 7.1 release. It would be good to know whether this is on the roadmap still as I was asked about this today too.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

ESomers
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Is it possible to redefine the lookup table that creates the Geo Map in SAS VA? I converted an ArcGIS shapefile to SAS, and created 2 files using addfeat macro in SAS EG. One file contains the x and y coordinates that defines the boundaries (lets call this map1) of my customised operational areas another providing a distinct list of the operational areas (lets call this map2) with a lookup to the dataset containing the coordinates. If I'm using SAS EG, I can run proc gmap procedure and use either map1 or map 2 to create a chloropleth map with the customised boundaries that I want. I can then add any measure that I want presented, add labels using the annotate option and hyperlink using the html option for the drill down. I assumed that because I can do this in SAS EG or in base SAS, that I can do the same in SAS VA. Can I load these tables in SAS VA and use the newly creating look up table for the Geo Map to work?

Following Marius procedure, I tried to map our customised operational areas with that used in the SAS VA lookup. It seems ok using Geo map bubble map style, but not working for Geo map region. Merged the NZ region maps with our customised operational areas, using the IDs and names noted in the lookup table (Country and Region Subdivision Lookup Values for SAS Visual Analytics 6.3 and 6.4) and defined these with a geography data classification and used it for the geo maps. It works well for Geo bubble map, but not for regions (chloropleth maps). Not sure why. Can someone help me?

Kind regards,

Ellen

dkb
Quartz | Level 8 dkb
Quartz | Level 8

Ellen, did you have any success?  I happen to be attempting something very similar, also with customised sub-regions of NZ, and the region maps are proving tricky.

muralinori_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Michelle 

Yes.  Custom shapes/boundries is on the road map.  Working on it and more to come.  

Regards, 

Murali Nori 

Perreby
Fluorite | Level 6
Awesome.. Reverted back to Enterprise guide and using proc gmap until VA
allows us the option of custom regions

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
SVFT
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Mulari

Any more news about  Cu​stom" Geo Region Maps? I am in Australia and recently we got access to  Geocoded information related to addresses in this country (state, suburb,street, number and coordinate reference).

Regards,

SVFT

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 11 in conversation