BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yiyhio
Fluorite | Level 6

Hey friends!

I am aiming to compare a departments KPI to an overall KPI which is that of the whole organization.

Thus, I want to make a line chart in SAS VA, where one of the measures is affected by user input through lists and button bars, choosing the department in focus. In the same line chart, I want to show another measure as well - an index which is the average KPI for the whole company. This should therefore remain unaffected by the users choices with regards to input through lists and button bars.

So how can I make it happen, either by some techincal or designwise adjustment? 

2 REPLIES 2
HunterT_SAS
SAS Employee

To achieve this, the only way is to have your lists and button bars set parameters, and then use those parameters in a calculated item that returns the first "filtered measure", if that makes sense. These lists and button bars should not filter the line chart at all, so that will keep the company KPI from being impacted.

That way, as users adjust the lists and button bars, the values that are selected go directly into the calculation for the first measure and only the first measure. 

Using a simple example, suppose you have a drop down list that sets Department. You create a parameter called "Department Paramenter" and assign it to the drop down list.
Then you create a calculated item, we'll say "Department KPI" and that will look something like:
If (Department = Department Parameter)
Return KPI
Else DifferentMeasure

Then in your Line Chart, use Department KPI and Company KPI. Do not create the action from the drop down to the line chart. As you change Department, it will recalculate just Department KPI and not impact Company KPI. 

yiyhio
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks, Hunter! I wasn't able to replicate your solution, but made it work some other way. By altering the input dataset, and doing a group by per month I just feeded in the monthly KPI in each and every row of the dataset. To avoid duplication when in VA, I just choose the number to be 'Average' instead of 'Summarize. Et voilá - one line affected by lists and button bars, another totally unaffected : ))

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation