BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AK100
Pyrite | Level 9

Good morning,

I have a very important question regarding the resolution in SAS Visual Analytics, I have a lot of graphs inside my dashboard but when I open the same graphs in LabView or Excel I see a much more detailed graph. I think SAS VA cannot handle the same resolution. Does this have something to do with resolution actually? Can I adjust it to make my graph more detailed in SAS VA or is this something SAS has made by default? 

I would like to hear from you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AK100
Pyrite | Level 9

For the ones who want to know the solution. I changed the graph to a numeric graph and used seconds instead of datetimes on the x-axis. I also placed a maximum on the Y-axis

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
anandchitale
Calcite | Level 5

Hi AK100, can you help with answering a few questions so we get a better understanding of your situation and possible resolution?

• Can you share examples of visual rendering differences between what you see in VA when designing the dashboard v/s what you see for the same visuals in Viewer v/s what you see in LabView (not sure about this applications) or in Excel?
  • Are you using SAS AMO plugin in Excel when bringing the VA visuals in Excel (which comes as an image).

Regarding Bin Count – this is data binning – like in a time series graph and is not related to resolution.

rgs,

Anand

AK100
Pyrite | Level 9

@anandchitale below you see the difference. The graph of SAS is less detailed then the graph above(The labview graph shows more points). 

AK100_0-1605194545591.pngAK100_1-1605194554920.png

anandchitale
Calcite | Level 5

In VA, when you maximize the object view (using the maximize option for your visual), are able to see all the data rows at the same level as they are available in LabView visual? Difficult to see from the image provided.

anandchitale_0-1605203228199.png

When purely comparing the visual peaks, number of peaks in each grid (grid in LabView compared to grid view in VA visual), they seem to be the same, but rendered at different scale of axis? VA scale seems more broader. Can you also try adjusting the X-Axis and Y-axis scales to see more granular peaks (assuming we have every data point in VA visual available)

Lastly, if you can send a sample data, we can try rending it in VA rendering every data point on a time-series/line visual. 

rgs, Anand

AK100
Pyrite | Level 9

Maximizing the object helps a bit, as soon I as I maximize it I see there are more peaks visual. However, when I open the same in Labview or even in Excel I get much more peaks to see which means that the graph in reality is much more detailed.

PetriRoine
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello @AK100 

Could it be that in the other tool (LabView) you are seeing raw data i.e. all the values, but in SAS you see data aggregated to f.ex. hourly or daily average level? Should be really easy to check if this is the case.

1. Add a List Table on the side. 
  2. Go to Options and make sure Detail data check box has been selected.
  3. Create action from the chart to List Table.
  4. Select a data point and look from List Table is it one or several rows.

Naturally you don't send your company data, but it has proven to be super helpful when people have created shareable sample data sets, that behave in the same way as original.

Best regards,

Petri

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

All VA build-in graphs adjust automatically to the available screen/browser size. Dependent on how much real estate is available, the complexity of the graph and things like labels - will determine how the graph automatically reduce tick labels, hide labels, etc.

There is no way to prevent this other than increasing the overall resolution of your report. Ultimately these are the options:

1. Use your VA browser session on a high resolution monitor (4k?)
  2. Increase the resolution of your report (open the right hand options panel and navigate to the report level. Under the 'Layout' section you can set a fixed report size).

Number #2 is likely the easiest though it may mean scroll bars when you view the report - assuming the resolution of the report is higher than your screen resolution. I have done this numerous times and you can see infographics like https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics-Gallery/The-Road-to-Recovery-Global-Impact-of-Co... being produced in UHD 4K resolution this way. And yes, this often was the only way to include sufficient details in some of the graphics.

Hope this helps. Falko

AK100
Pyrite | Level 9

For the ones who want to know the solution. I changed the graph to a numeric graph and used seconds instead of datetimes on the x-axis. I also placed a maximum on the Y-axis

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation