BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jonathan_
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

In the SAS Visual analytics designer 7.4, I would like to create an interactive reports with interactions and filters but the data are wihtin multiple facts tables.

So, I would like to know what is the best way to create a VA report using these type of data, do i need to join all the tables ?

How can i create rate over year if the population per year is in an other database and incidence cases are in another database ?

For example, I have cases (50 000 cases per year) that have calls associated with and for each case or calls I can have interventions, product intoxication, analyzes made by a doctor and so on. So, if i join all the tables I will have a table with high volume  over years (millions of lines). Here a small example of the data.

For an example of reports, I would need to set promps for date, sexe, age, products and present these kind of information :

Trend over-time for cases (number and rates)

Trend over-time for calls

Cross table of different variables for cases

Cross table of different variables for calls

Top 10 Intoxication product

Top 10 Analyzes

Top 10 Interventions

Regards,

Cases :

ID_CaseDateSexeAge
12019-01-01Men18
22019-01-02Women24
32019-01-03Men32

Calls for each case :

ID_CaseID_CallDate
112019-01-01
122019-01-02
232019-01-02
342019-01-03
352019-01-13

Intoxication product for each case :

ID_CaseID_Product

Intervention for each call :

ID_CallID_Intervention

Analyze for each call :

ID_CallID_Analyse

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

I would say that if you want to do calculations using variables from different tables you need to join them.

This can be done using built in data prep or before loading data to VA, enterprise guide is my favorite.

If you on the other hand want to subset data using different tables you can link them together in the designer. You need to have the corresponding variable in the tables you're are linking 🙂

//fredrik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi!

I would say that if you want to do calculations using variables from different tables you need to join them.

This can be done using built in data prep or before loading data to VA, enterprise guide is my favorite.

If you on the other hand want to subset data using different tables you can link them together in the designer. You need to have the corresponding variable in the tables you're are linking 🙂

//fredrik

Jonathan_
Calcite | Level 5

Hi FredrikE,

Thanks for your answer, my first guess was to join all the tables using SAS Enterprise Guide as you suggest, but It would have been nice if instead of joining all of them I would have been able to link those tables based on the different ID variables (ID_case, ID_calls, ...) and then set prompts from variables that appeared in different tables. For example, make a prompt for sexe (this variable is present in the case table) and then filter the calls table using the ID_calls.

Regards,

Jonathan

FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

As always (!) you have more functionality in the newer versions of VA, especially in 8.3 you can do joins and aggregations (you can for example create an aggregated table and then join it with the original, perfect for adding totals to details for comparison...) much more dynamic directly in VA without the need to do it before loading into VA 🙂

//Fredrik

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation