BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MarkESmith
Obsidian | Level 7

Currently running a non-distributed implementation of SAS VisualAnalytics 7.3. According to the SAS VA 7.3 Administration Guide that I've read (starting on page 7), it says the following about automatically starting a SAS LASR Analytic Server:

-----------------------

A SAS LASR Analytic Server can start on demand if one or more of the server’s LASR libraries enable autostart. Requests to an autostart-enabled LASR library start the associated SAS LASR Analytic Server if all of the following conditions are met:

• The server is not already running.Operating Servers
  • The requesting user has the necessary privileges.
  • The request is for a load or import action. Requests to open a data source, read data, or run a data query do not trigger autostart

In the standard configuration, autostart is enabled for the Visual Analytics Public LASR library. To enable autostart for another library, use either of the following methods

SAS Management Console

1: In SAS Management Console, right-click on a LASR library, and select Properties.

2: On the Extended Attributes tab, set VA.AutoLoad.AutoStart to Yes.

------------------

We have about 22 queries that set up on the scheduler (running as an Admin user) to load files on our Public LASR Analytic Server once every week. From the way the guide puts it, it sounds like if I go in and enable the "VA.AutoLoad.AutoStart" to 'Yes' (through the SAS Management Console), then when those queries try to execute, if the Public LASR Analytic Server is down, it should automatically force the server to start. Is this a correct understanding or am I missing something?

If this does not automatically trigger a restart, what is the simplest way to implement something that would regularly (once a week) trigger a restart if the SAS LASR Analytic Server is off? It would be fine, as far as I can see, if I create a dummy file for this purpose if necessary.

Any thoughts or input, as always, are much appreciated!

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
alexal
SAS Employee

@MarkESmith ,

if I go in and enable the "VA.AutoLoad.AutoStart" to 'Yes' (through the SAS Management Console), then when those queries try to execute, if the Public LASR Analytic Server is down, it should automatically force the server to start. Is this a correct understanding or am I missing something?

Yes, but you also have to enable autoload for that LASR server. The autoload process will trigger the startup of the LASR server if VA.AutoLoad.AutoStart is enabled in the metadata properties.

MarkESmith
Obsidian | Level 7

I have run the schedule.sh script before and have Autoload enabled for one of our LASR servers (LASR Analytic Server) for the purpose of viewing Administrator Reports (Auditing).

We have two LASR Servers:

1. LASR Analytic Server

2. Public LASR Analytic Server

The latter is the one that I'd need Autoload enabled for, but in the documentation, I don't see where a differentiation is made (i.e. where or how to specify a specific LASR server)

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you prefer to start the Public LASR server directly and immediately like after a server reboot then you can run a SAS program to do it. This SAS program needs to be run as a batch job as the SERVERWAIT statement will cause the batch job to pause, and the job must then continue running for the LASR server to stay up. If you kill the batch job the LASR server stops too.

NB you need to change the references SASVAServer and SASWebVAServer to your actual SAS VA server names. Folder locations and port numbers may be different for you too.

* STARTSERVER option starts the VAPUBLIC Public LASR server.;
libname LASRLIB sasiola startserver = (path = "\\SASVAServer\SAS\Config\Lev1\AppData\SASVisualAnalytics\VisualAnalyticsAdministrator\sigfiles")
  host="SASWebVAServer.com" port = 10031 tag = 'VAPUBLIC'
  signer = "https://SASWebVAServer.com:443/SASLASRAuthorization"
  ;

* SERVERWAIT causes the LASR server to continue running as long as the program run as a batch process remains up.;
proc vasmp;
  serverwait port = 10031;
quit;
alexal
SAS Employee

@MarkESmith ,

Stop the LASR server, run the autoload process and show me the log file from it.

MarkESmith
Obsidian | Level 7
Is there a method (scrip to execute, perhaps?) to manually run the autoload process?
alexal
SAS Employee

@MarkESmith ,

Yes, just invoke runsas.sh script.

MarkESmith
Obsidian | Level 7

Gotcha. I would get you that log, but unfortunately it's not convenient to shut down the LASR server save on weekends.

From the reading I've done, it looks like I can set up a separate auto-load implementation for my Public VA LASR Server through the SAS Deployment Manager. When that new folder structure is implemented, it's just a matter of dropping a CSV into the drop-zone (through a cron job perhaps) at the desired time to force a restart of the LASR server (as long as the extended attribute AutoLoadAutoStart is enabled).

See, I'm not necessarily looking to truly use auto-load for this LASR server, I simply looking for a way to completely restart all the necessary SAS servers/services once a week, and this appears to be a workable solution for that.

If my understanding of this is misguided, please correct me.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation