BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I am struggling with creating a visualization that represents the scatter/standard deviation...around a particular measure.
Adding the simple error bars has been an issue; getting a box plot another issue...

My data has daily measures and I want to aggregate them by month, showing the average and for example the 1st and 3rd Quartile.
I have started using a custom graph with a vector and a line graph. But I got no where... 

I guess, what I am looking for are suggestions of visualizations that have worked in SAS VA. There are plenty out there in SAS, excel...but I would like to know how is has been represented in SAS VA.

i will keep this post updated in case I find one way.

Cheers

rita

Just to give an example what I have been trying out. 

Stock high-Low Profile Plot

When I have the source data aggregated in te lvel that I want to display, the stock high-low plot seems to do the job.

image 1.PNG

However, when the data is daily and I would like the graph to aggregate my measurements monthly, I achieve a very different looking graph. Table with aggregation is fine. Just not the graph

image 2.PNG

The Output Graph (very different...)

image 4.PNG

If anyone knows the answer, what i might be doing wrong, it would be a massive help.
email back, if you have dealt with STD/scatter in another way...

13 REPLIES 13
BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

Are you looking for something like this, barchart with errorbars, see also attached screenshot.

barchart_with_errorbars.PNG

Bruno

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Bruno,

Yes something like that.

And without needing to be an aggregation in the data preparation.

Can you post your instructions?

Thanks
Rita

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

hi Rita

You can use a custom graph to build this. To create the custom graph, you can use this button when on the report obejcts tab.

errorBars05.PNG

Put two barcharts on top of each other and change the bar spacing for the second bar to make it smaller.

errorBars01.PNG

Next, edit the roles to change the names to be something sensible. Also allow multiple data assignments for the error bar because you will need to use two data points there.

errorBars02.PNG

Go to the properties of the first cell, the one with the two barcharts in it, and set the way color are given, this will ensure, that we only have to set the color for the error bars.

Set the grouping style for the second bar chart, the one that displays the error bars, to stack, so the two measures will be put on top of each other.

errorBars04.PNG

errorBars03.PNG

That is basically it, you might want to set other properties on how the bar are displayed. Save your custome graph to a folder and add it to the report objects tab.

You need two new aggregated measures computed with the follwoing expressions, you have to adapt it for the data item you want to display (change the name of 'HorsePower'n to the name you need.

errorBarMin, that is the value for the first measre on the errorBars role:

Avg [_ByGroup_] ('Horsepower'n) - ( 1 * StdDev [_ByGroup_] ('Horsepower'n) )

the second aggregated measure looks like this:

errorBars, that is the actual value for the error bars:

2 * StdDev [_ByGroup_] ('Horsepower'n)

Use the custom graph in your report like this:

errorBars06.PNG

Learned this techniques from @PetriRoine.

Bruno

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks @BrunoMueller!

I have tried to replicate the graph. However I have encounter a problem and I do not know which step I may have missed. The error bars are starting from 0, as the image below:

error bars.PNG

I have select the option: 

properties error bards.PNG

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

First I would change the colors of the two measures errorBarMin and errorBars so that you can distinguish them from each other, currently they have the same color.

Second I would display the new data items within a list table to see whether the calculated numbers are correct.

Bruno

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @BrunoMueller,

thanks so much. Yes it was the colour!
I had done the table and the calculations were correct.

If you have more useful customized graphs, please feel free to share.

Cheers,

Rita

qyfan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

Thanks for your post. I got exactly the same issue. How do you change the color of the errorbarmin and errorbars in SAS viya? 

Untitled.jpg

With regards

Fan

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ
Which version are you using 8.3.1, 8.4?
qyfan
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! I am using 8.3 and I have solved the problem. But now I am trying to add standard deviation on line chart. For now, I can only make scatter+line chart and band+line chart as alternatives. Any tip to make the normal one? Thanks and have a nice weekend!

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

You can basically use the same technique: combine a bar chart with very thin bars together with a line chart. As outline above the bar chart needs more than one measure that is stacked.

With VA8.4 colors can be controlled on the individual object level. You can also control whether a legend is displayed or not. See below what it looks like.

vline_error_bars.PNG

qyfan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Bruno

Thank you so much for your help! It works pretty well now. 

Best regards

Fan

Kyle17
Calcite | Level 5

Can this plot be done in VA8.5?

I tried it and didn't work out. I'm not sure what other settings to try.

My data and like this:

Rate = 5; Upper = 6.5; Lower = 4; Year = 2015.  So basically many years in this dataset and was loaded to CAS.  

In VA8.5,  Year was the shared role and represented in the line graph and response variable was Rate.

The bar graph contains the upper and lower measure and I selected the "allow multiple data assignments" and grouping was selected to Stacked.  I used Graph Builder to overlay the line and bar chart.  

Still, it doesn't work.  

Any advice?

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Yes it can.

Bruno_SAS_0-1605883340846.png

As you can see once the custom graph is used within a report you can change the colors, set the green to white and it will look like this:

Bruno_SAS_1-1605883519444.png

Please note, that when you do make changes to your custom graph template you need to recreate it in the report.

This example is using the SASHELP.CARS data. The Y axis of the line is using the average or Horsepower, the two measures used in the bar chart are calculated as described above.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation