BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello Peter,

It is completely different data, for u r understand, i made in your way..

If you need steps, i will send you,

Can you please send your week column description (only your week column).

Thanks & Regards,

Teja Surapaneni

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Teja,

Can you advise the steps you took to create the charts you have posted?

I'm not sure what you mean by sending "my week column description".

My data has a 'Week_Ending' Column, Region & Sales Totals.

Please advise what steps you took to create your chart, Thanks

TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I mean, how many weeks are there in Week_Ending column.

You have to Split your Week_End column to 2 columns. i.e., Month1 (Wk1, Wk2, Wk3, Wk4. Else missing) & Month2 (Wk5, Wk6, Wk7, Wk8. Else missing) These columns are for drop down list's.

Assign  Bar Chart Roles (Category: Month, Measure : Sales Total & Group: Region) 

For Bar Chart1 :                                             For Bar Chart2 :

Category: Month1  (or) Week_End                       Category: Month2 (or) Week_End

Measure: Sales Total                                              Measure: Sales Total

Group : Region                                                         Group : Region

put filters  on Both Charts Based on Month1&2 (or) Week_End.

Thanks & Regards,

Teja Surapaneni

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Teja,

That sounds like a workaround rather than a supported feature of SAS VA.

So It looks like you have found a way to make this work, so thanks.

I wanted to know if there is a way that is already designed into SAS VA to do what I have described.

Thanks again though.

TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes peter,

There is another way to achieve this with single Bar Chart & List (Controls). In this you don't need to do any any workaround.

http://s11.postimg.org/vlv77ji5v/Untitled.png

Sorry peter, I am not able to upload images in communities, this is an alternative and direct way to achieve your requirement.

In the above example you are able to compare more than one week at a time.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks&Regards,

Teja Surapaneni

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Are you going to tell me what it is?

It's nice to know that but there's no value in telling me that there is a solution if you don't tell me what it is Teja.

So, if you have any answers, can you fully explain them in the same post?

Thanks Peter

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Anna,

I appreciate your assistance with my post & Teja has been helpful, but I'm still not clear on the question of creating 2 Charts in the same screenshot that can display different time periods for a comparison.

Example, I have a table of info that has 1 years worth of weekending dates, regions such as North, West, East, South & sales for those regions over the weekending periods.

I would like a user to select a week from one chart (using the same table if possible) & then select a different week from another chart in order to compare improvements/issues with the Regions.

Can you advise if there is a supported feature in VA that can display this?

So far I have found that I can create a Horizontal Container & add Drop Down objects with the date fields as parameters & then go to the Interactions to join just the relevant Drop Downs to the charts & therefore have the charts display independently.

Is this the best way to do this or is there a better way?

Peter   

Explore_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Peter,

as per my understanding as you are having 2 different data source, using a separate dropdown filters for different reports, looks like the best solution as per my understanding.

I will let you know, if I found some better option that this.

a small suggestion don't put them in horizontal container ,as it will be slight difficult to do comparison. just create one below the another.

Thanks,

Amol

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Amol,

I'm using the same datasource (a table) & I can either use or not use a container, I just want to know the best way to set this up to view 2 charts with different data side by side.

I'm finding if I put the Drop Down Objects in a Horizontal container, I can then join the parts the way I want to stop the 2 charts changing & showing the same data.

Explore_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

what I would suggest is then, put 2 bar charts vertically, one below the another ( use different dropdowns for each report to filter your data ) and that will be easy to compare.

I will have 1 more suggestion for you is that instead of creating 2 reports,  Create a bubble plot against sales nos and weeks and run the animation on weeks column from the roles tab and

that animation will run sales figure for all the weeks you have in dataset. that will give you a clear idea how your sale have moved week by week.

- Amol

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Arnol,

I need to use bar charts & I find if I use 2 Drop Downs, they change both charts.

This is what I want to avoid, so I need to know how to get the 2 separate Drop Downs to filter just one chart.

So far, as I've said, I've added a container (containing the drop downs) which then appears in the Interactions view so I can join them separately.

This seems to be the only way I've found to do this.

Using the containers though fills up lots of space above the charts so it isn't ideal.

Explore_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

I guess where you are placing the dropdown that makes a difference. if you are placing both of them in report filter or section filter location.

Then they will behave as filters on report level like applicable for all sections in a report. and if you are putting them at section level then they will apply for all the graphs or reports you have in that section.

So I would suggest just place dropdowns in the big square box( report designer ) window and then add interaction to respective graph.

let me know if that helps.

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Explore SAS,

I've found that seems to be the answer, using the Interactions to ensure that Drop Down only filters the chart it is connected to.

I've found that I need to use a container though in order to attach it in the Interactions view.

Cheers

TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Anna,

Again I am getting same issue...................Smiley Sad

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

I'm so sorry, Teja, give it a try now! I just lifted the filters again.

Peter - I'm digging into this with our product team and will report back.

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 33 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation