BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
babai88
Calcite | Level 5

How much byte of memory does LASR server take to store a length 1 character data and lenght 8 numeric data ?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@alexal wrote:

@babai88,

Each column in the LASR server is padded to an 8 byte boundary. If the character variable you are adding is not a multiple of 8 bytes, the variable will be padded to an 8-byte boundary.

Didn't know that. Now that can blow up a dataset quite nicely (if it contains lots of y/n type variables).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
babai88
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks Mr. Bremser,

I tried to estimate total table space considering each character takes 2 bytes and length 8 numeric takes 8 bytes. This gives me a fair estimate but not a exact or almost exact memory consumption value !!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

There will always be an overhead for metadata, and artifacts of the page-wise organisation of datasets. But a 1-character field needs one byte, and the larger the dataset (in terms of observations), the smaller the overhead.

alexal
SAS Employee

@babai88,

Each column in the LASR server is padded to an 8 byte boundary. If the character variable you are adding is not a multiple of 8 bytes, the variable will be padded to an 8-byte boundary.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@alexal wrote:

@babai88,

Didn't know that. Now that can blow up a dataset quite nicely (if it contains lots of y/n type variables).

babai88
Calcite | Level 5

Is there anything like 8 byte padding in case of numeric columns ?

A numeric column of length 8 takes up 8 bytes of memory? Please correct me if I am wrong.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Correct. Numeric columns use 8 bytes of storage by default so no padding is done for these. If the LASR load table contains shortened numerical columns I presume padded would be done for these too.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation