BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DominicRehn
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I cannot find a suitable post to this question, but would welcome any pointers if it already exists....

We have just started using VA (7.4) for some of our reporting requirements, and have so far used different methods to load our data into the LASR server. Each of these have some benefits and drawbacks but I was wondering if people had some good best practice (practical examples or just theoretical to start) for how to do this.

Main problems:

• Server is a little unstable at the moment and often requires restarting and subsequent reloading of datasets
  • Some data is specific to VA reports, while other tables are used across our SAS platform - data will be required from different libraries

Options we have considered:

1. Load the data as part of an ETL process (e.g. in the DI Studio job have a job which loads the table to LASR)
    • Not all tables are created in DI
    • Cannot easily reload just the required tables to LASR when the server restarts
  2. Manually load tables through VA Administrator
    • Not practical in the future
  3. Write a script which checks and restarts the server and reloads the tables
    • Not sure if this is possible
  4. Use an autoload library
    • Currently not enabled/setup 
  5. Use a combination of the above
    • Try to minimize complexity so that if a reload is required we do not have to undertake any or at least different processes

Any advice would be very welcome, as would any links to other ideas or practical solutions!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @DominicRehn,

as default suggestion, I highly recommend to use the AutoLoad functionality, quite useful. It restart the LASR server if stopped and loads/updates the data as required. Not 100% sure if AutoLoad would work for distributed LASR nodes.

I think the ETL process is also good, specially recommended when you have distributed LASR, because it gives you the opportunity where to take the data from, tune performance and many other options. With the addition that you can "plug it"  within your current ETLs.
This approach would require a separate script in your LASR nodes to start LASR before the ETL load starts, then you would be good to go.

I would like to advise against manual loads as much as possible. It is OK when you have a few tables, but a mess and chaos when you start having 50+ tables to load manually. Reload-on-start is still a good idea, but then you might be out of control in some scenarios. 

I would also like to advise against Data Builder Queries and to schedule them: a VA server should not be used as an ETL server, not the purpose and it has its impact. Data Builder Queries are useful for only little processes and to prepare data for Data Explorations (a couple of users), not for the daily operations.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
alexal
SAS Employee

@DominicRehn,

Manually load tables through VA Administrator

You can also enable reload-on-start, so tables that were loaded manually will be reloaded when the LASR server is restarted. Please note that not all tables are eligible for reload-on-start, please see more details in VA Administrator Guide.

Use an autoload library

I suggest using autoloading functionality.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @DominicRehn,

as default suggestion, I highly recommend to use the AutoLoad functionality, quite useful. It restart the LASR server if stopped and loads/updates the data as required. Not 100% sure if AutoLoad would work for distributed LASR nodes.

I think the ETL process is also good, specially recommended when you have distributed LASR, because it gives you the opportunity where to take the data from, tune performance and many other options. With the addition that you can "plug it"  within your current ETLs.
This approach would require a separate script in your LASR nodes to start LASR before the ETL load starts, then you would be good to go.

I would like to advise against manual loads as much as possible. It is OK when you have a few tables, but a mess and chaos when you start having 50+ tables to load manually. Reload-on-start is still a good idea, but then you might be out of control in some scenarios. 

I would also like to advise against Data Builder Queries and to schedule them: a VA server should not be used as an ETL server, not the purpose and it has its impact. Data Builder Queries are useful for only little processes and to prepare data for Data Explorations (a couple of users), not for the daily operations.

DominicRehn
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks - This supports what we were thinking with the autoload facility - much appreciated!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation