BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
legojenn
Calcite | Level 5

Hi:

I recently completed SAS VA training and now that I am back at the office, I am a little over my head. One of my first tasks is to look for the average number of practicioners who worked on a file and the average number of files worked on by an practicioner. Once that is done, I need to slice and dice it by division and site. This should be a basic bit of data preparation that should allow me to complete report using techniques provided in the course.

The three dimensions that I think I need to work with are a unique identifer for practioners, a unique identifier for files and something that joins them. We call those records timeslips.

I assume that I need to aggregate the practioner IDs and file IDs. I am also assuming that I need to select distinct records. Whether a practioner completed one timeslip or one thousand in the period, it counts as one file for that practicioner, and one practicioner for that file.

From here, I am lost. If I were to write this in SQL, I would not find it terribly challenging. With SAS VA, I am struggling and I assume that it's because I am overthinking it.

Thanks in advance,

jenn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lorrie_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi jenn,

If sounds like you might prefer preparing your data using SQL. You could do so from the data builder by manually editing the code on the "Code" tab of a data query or star schema. Here's some information that might be helpful to you:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/68648/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1bhe7s7u4l7egn1d2ahw...

Best regards,

Lorrie

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Lorrie_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi jenn,

If sounds like you might prefer preparing your data using SQL. You could do so from the data builder by manually editing the code on the "Code" tab of a data query or star schema. Here's some information that might be helpful to you:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/68648/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1bhe7s7u4l7egn1d2ahw...

Best regards,

Lorrie

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation