BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
filippo_kow
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi guys,

I am a new VA user and I have a question related to creating headline of the report.

I have a table with values for headline, which looks like this:

name_of_report date_of_report created_by
Sample report 2022-07-10

Joe Black

Then, I use multidimentional table to present data in the following way:

Name of report Sample report
Date of report 2022-07-10
Created by Joe Black

(I put name_of_report, date_of_report and created_by into "Columns" of that multidimensional table). But unfortunately it looks that I need to add some measure (like counts), because when I delete that measure the table looks like 'original' table (three columns with values). Is there a way to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Filip

8 REPLIES 8
Stu_SAS
SAS Employee

Hey @filippo_kow! One way to get around this is by hard-coding your name of your report and who made it into a text box, but you can use dynamic values for the date. An easy way to do that is to extract each date value from your table, then set each aggregation to average. For example:

Year: year('date'n)

Month: month('date'n)

Day: dayofmonth('date'n)

In your dynamic text box, you can add each value by selecting them as Measure roles:

Sample Report create by Joe Black.
Last Updated: {year}-{month}-{day}

The date will dynamically change as your data changes.

filippo_kow
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi @Stu_SAS!

Thanks for the info 🙂
In general I don't want to calculate data dynamicaly (like date of report), but instead of that I would like to use data from a database table. The flow is that I am running job that recalculates data that should be visible in headline, then I am loading it into Viya and I would like to present the values in the headline of report.
Any further help will be appreciated 🙂

Thanks!
Filip
filippo_kow
Obsidian | Level 7
So it should work in the following way:
Name: <select name_of_report from my_table where accounting_period="&parameter">
User: <select user_name from my_table where accounting_period="&parameter">
Date: <select date from my_table where accounting_period="&parameter">
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

How will those values be chosen? Via controls? or a link from another object? Also, what version are you using?

filippo_kow
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @Madelyn_SAS ,

I am using version 8.5.1 (SAS Viya V.03.05) and values are chosen from drop-down list.

In general it looks in the following way:

I have a drop-down list with DATE values ('2022-05', '2022-06', '2022-07'), listing table with current report (when I select '2022-05' I print values for May, when I select '2022-06' I print values for June and so on), and I need to create headline with values from another table:

• when I select '2022-05' I should print
    Report for: '2022-05'
    Report name: Some sample title
  • when I select '2022-06' I should print:
    Report for: '2022-06'
    Report name: Another sample title

For headline I am using multidimentional table and it looks quite good. But unfortunately there is automaticaly added measure with counts, and when I delete this measue the headline looks like typical database table.

Here is a sample "data model":

TABLE WITH VALUES FOR HEADLINE
DATE NAME_OF_REPORT VERSION_OF_REPORT
2022-06 Report One v.6
2022-07 Report Two v.6_1

TABLE WITH VALUES
DATE SOME_CATEGORY SOME_MESURE
2022-06 OneTwo 423
2022-06 ThreeFour 241
2022-06 FiveSix 543
2022-06 SevenEight 42
2022-07 NineTen 543
2022-07 ElevenTwelve 656

Report, when I choose 2022-06 from drop down list:

Name of report Report One
Version of report v.6

2022-06 OneTwo 423
2022-06 ThreeFour 241
2022-06 FiveSix 543
2022-06 SevenEight 42

Report, when I choose 2022-07 from drop down list:

Name of report Report Two
Version of report

v.6_1

2022-07 NineTen 543
2022-07 ElevenTwelve 656

Regards,

Filip  

filippo_kow
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi guys,

Anyone has some idea 🙂 ?

Thanks,
Filip
filippo_kow
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @Stu_SAS ,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have very basic question 😉

You wrote that I should extract each date value from my table and then add it to dynamic text box. And my quesiton is: where exactly should I do that 🙂 ? I mean, let's assume that I have a table with date values, and where exactly in VA I can extract date from my table?

Thanks in advance,

Filip

Stu_SAS
SAS Employee

Hey @filippo_kow! In VA this would be a new calculated item. You'll do this by going to the Data tab and selecting "New data item," then "Calculated Item" from the drop-down menu. You can then get your individual day/month/year values by using the functions shown in my previous post. You will create one data item for each part of the date (e.g. one for day, one for month, and one for year).

Stu_SAS_0-1659973104841.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation