BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cnhodg
Calcite | Level 5
Hi there, this is Chris using SAS VA (version 7.3 Hotfix 03). I'll start with the goal of what I want to accomplish in Visual Analytics, and next follow-up with more details. My goal is to show a gauge as a percent of currently received revenues to our budget, and similarly the same with expenses. Now to the details. Within the imported data, I have columns for 'account type', 'ledger', and 'amount', among others but I do not think the others are needed. Account type is either revenue or expense. Ledger is text as either 'Actuals 2018' or 'Budget 2018'. Amount is the only column with true, numerical data. That is, the amount column is always clarified by the other columns and so as an example, a $25,000 in the amount column could apply to either a revenue budget in 2017, a $25,000 expense in 2018, etc. Within VA I created a calculated item in the hopes to return percentages by doing what is displayed in the 'VA Calculated Item' attachment. The result is the bottom left graph in that image which shows 0 to 100%, but there is no black bar in the middle to show progress. If I change type from 'bullet' to 'thermometer' then the fill is blank. Any help is appreciated! Thanks, Chris
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cnhodg
Calcite | Level 5

Hey!

So truly, I have spent more than a day's worth of total hours on this. I finally figured it out literally 5 minutes ago. It turns out, for me I had to create two calculated items, then put those two items into an aggregated measure. Here's a bit more detail in case anyone else runs into this.

Originally, my data only had 'Amount' as a Measure. I then created calculated items for 'Actuals 2018 Revenue' and 'Budget 2018 Revenue' via simple If...Then statements because I had to qualify that within actuals and budget I only wanted account types like revenue. Lastly, I created an aggregated measure simply dividing the two calculated items. Voila!

I have no idea why it has to be like that, but apparently it does. Hopefully this helps for anyone else trying to do the same thing.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cnhodg
Calcite | Level 5

Hey!

So truly, I have spent more than a day's worth of total hours on this. I finally figured it out literally 5 minutes ago. It turns out, for me I had to create two calculated items, then put those two items into an aggregated measure. Here's a bit more detail in case anyone else runs into this.

Originally, my data only had 'Amount' as a Measure. I then created calculated items for 'Actuals 2018 Revenue' and 'Budget 2018 Revenue' via simple If...Then statements because I had to qualify that within actuals and budget I only wanted account types like revenue. Lastly, I created an aggregated measure simply dividing the two calculated items. Voila!

I have no idea why it has to be like that, but apparently it does. Hopefully this helps for anyone else trying to do the same thing.

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Great to hear you solved the problem, @cnhodg! Thanks for posting your solution back to the community, which for sure will help out fellow members.

Best,

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation