BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ScottJP
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello

I have a view in an SQL database, which I've registered as a data source and I then use it in a data preparation query to create a LASR table, which is used by a few reports. This query is no longer scheduled, as the data's not going to be changing for a month. 

My server is scheduled to restart every Sunday. 

Obviously, on Monday, the LASR table is gone, and I have to go into the Data Prep tool and run that query to make the LASR table again. 

I use the Autoload drop zone (Lev1\AppData\SASVisualAnalytics\VisualAnalyticsAdministrator\AutoLoad) so that other LASR tables are recreated when the server comes back up, but this is for physical sas7bdat/csv files etc. 

Does anyone know what I have to do to get the LASR table recreated for my SQL sources? I have read SAS Visual Analytics 7.3: Administration Guide pages 22-34 but it doesn't say anything about doing this. I'm guessing there's not a way and I've got to write a script or something to make a phyiscal table and put it in the public Autoload folder? I COULD schedule the query to run after the server would be back up - is that the only way? 

Any advice gratefully received. 

Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottJP
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all - Much better solution to loading your LASR tables after a server reboot, for Data Prep queries that draw on external data, for which you DON'T want to create phyiscal tables to use Autload:- 

All of your Data Prep queries will be in the data prep scheduling, the SAS Management Console Schedule Manager, but also in your server's Task Scheduler. 

For each of the relevant schedules in Task Scheduler, just add another Trigger to the existing schedule with it set to "Begin the Task: At Startup", and tick Delay Task for: 30 mins (so there's enough time for the server to restart fully). 

That means that when the server starts, the associated LASR tables will be reloaded; your VA users will still have access to their reports. (Note that the schedule just launches a VB script (e.g. the Action is to start ...Lev1\SchedulingServer\sjp-admin\vbd_my_scheduled_data_prep_query_1503674056273\vbd_my_scheduled_data_prep_query_1503674056273.vbs, so you might want to create the windows task schedules yourself so you can take advantage of "retrying the task" if it fails to run the first time (i.e. if the 30 mins delay start wasn't long enough, it will try again). 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
alexal
SAS Employee

@ScottJP,

We do not have the autoloading process for SQL tables. The only way is to schedule a query.

ScottJP
Obsidian | Level 7

Ok thanks - Guess I'll just have to have lots of schedules 🙂 

ScottJP
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all - Much better solution to loading your LASR tables after a server reboot, for Data Prep queries that draw on external data, for which you DON'T want to create phyiscal tables to use Autload:- 

All of your Data Prep queries will be in the data prep scheduling, the SAS Management Console Schedule Manager, but also in your server's Task Scheduler. 

For each of the relevant schedules in Task Scheduler, just add another Trigger to the existing schedule with it set to "Begin the Task: At Startup", and tick Delay Task for: 30 mins (so there's enough time for the server to restart fully). 

That means that when the server starts, the associated LASR tables will be reloaded; your VA users will still have access to their reports. (Note that the schedule just launches a VB script (e.g. the Action is to start ...Lev1\SchedulingServer\sjp-admin\vbd_my_scheduled_data_prep_query_1503674056273\vbd_my_scheduled_data_prep_query_1503674056273.vbs, so you might want to create the windows task schedules yourself so you can take advantage of "retrying the task" if it fails to run the first time (i.e. if the 30 mins delay start wasn't long enough, it will try again). 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation