BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
laurenhosking
Quartz | Level 8

Howgf.png would I interoperate this goodness to fit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can check a textbook for precise language. What I would say would depend on my audience.  If I want to be casual, I would say "the GOF tests indicate that the data are approximately normal with the given mean and standard deviation."  If I am talking to a colleague, I might say, "there is not sufficient evidence to reject the null hypothesis at the 0.05 significance level," where the "null hypothesis" is that the data are generated from a N(75.008, 13.925) distribution.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can check a textbook for precise language. What I would say would depend on my audience.  If I want to be casual, I would say "the GOF tests indicate that the data are approximately normal with the given mean and standard deviation."  If I am talking to a colleague, I might say, "there is not sufficient evidence to reject the null hypothesis at the 0.05 significance level," where the "null hypothesis" is that the data are generated from a N(75.008, 13.925) distribution.

laurenhosking
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you rick. can I see that I can jeject the null hypothesis from the small table below too?

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

From your output, there is no evidence that variable wt isn't normally distributed.

PG
laurenhosking
Quartz | Level 8

thank you! how do you know this from the small table?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, because the p values for the GOF tests are greater than 0.05.

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

@Rick_SAS I guess you meant No: you can't reject the null hypothesis that the data is distributed normally.

PG
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Right. Thanks, PGStats. To clarify, the OP asked, "can I see that I can reject the null hypothesis from the small table below too?"

But she should have asked, "can I see from the table that the GOF tests FAIL TO reject the null hypothesis."

The answer is yes, you can see that from the table because the p values less than 0.05.  

SAS Innovate 2025: Save the Date

SAS Innovate 2025 is scheduled for May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. Sign up to be first to learn about the agenda and registration!

Save the date!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

SAS Training: Just a Click Away

Ready to level-up your skills? Choose your own adventure.

Browse our catalog!

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation